Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Pavilion DV7-1103ea

Ok, so the battery/power meter on the taskbar states that the battery is charging, ie the meter goes up and down ( charging ) for about 15 to 20 seconds after windows loads ( Vista ) then it stops but still says that the battery is charging.

If i unistall the battery, then let it reinstall the battery, the meter shows the battery charging for about 15 to 20 seconds then stops.

I have replaced the following :-

System board x2, yep 2 boards same no charging fault

DC Socket and lead

AC Adapter

Battery

I put another hdd in the machine and loaded Vista and still the same thing.

Anyone out there have any idea's 

45 REPLIES 45
HP Recommended

Hi,

Try recalibrating the battery.  There are other tips at the same link such as the Battery Status Utility.

You should also try the Battery Test.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Thank's for the reply Big_Dave,

Firstly, there is no Battery Test in the Setup feature, ie:- turn laptop on, press Esc, read menu, No Batt Test

Next, Battery Status Utility states that the Battery is ok,

So 2 batteries, 1 at 0%, and 1 at 61%, so recalibrating the battery is not a real option as ( according to HP, batt should be 99 to 100% charged before recalibrating.

I've done all the other norm things, ie:- Uninstalled the ACPI compliant battery, turned off laptop, taken batt out, disconnected mains lead, hold power button for a minute or three, plug batt and mains lead in, turn laptop back on etc, etc.

One really weird thing that happened was that on one occasion, i forgot to put batt in before turning on, noticed it was still out after windows etc had loaded, put batt in and got a message " Smart AC adapter power output is too low for this computer ".

So i tried both adapters, the old and the new, and got the same message both times, i checked the output of both adapters with a multimeter and they are fine ie:- 19v @ 4.74amp.

So unless i've got a couple of board's that require a voltage higher than what is normally required i'm at a loss.

Any more idea's would be gratefully received.

Cheer's. 

HP Recommended

Still stuck with no battery charging,

Tried every Bios version, new battery, new ac adapter, different memory.

Tried with 2 different systemboards out of laptop, just 1 stick of memory and hdd connected.

Tried with 3 different hdd's, the original hdd, 1 with a basic copy of vista, the other with a basic copy of Xp ( by basic copy i mean just loaded the os, did not update graphic,sound,lan etc software ).

Still not charging the battery.

The only common denominator with everything is the cpu, so before i go and purchase a new cpu.

Has anyone come across this sort of thing before ?, is it possible that the cpu is causing the battery to not charge and the system to report " Smart AC adapter power output is too low for this computer ", a note on the adapters, 2 adapter's both checked with multimeter and both reading correct at 19v 4.74amps, reading the same if no load, or plugged into laptop.

Any one out there got a answer, before i decide that to try and fit this laptop into a matchbox:manmad: 

HP Recommended

Hey!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The hint that I got from reading over your posts was from this line "Smart AC adapter power output is too low for this computer" this tells me that your computer is not receiving enough ac power.

Can you please check the adapter that you purchased, and make sure that it is a 120W Smart AC Adapter (product number

VE025AA#ABA). Otherwise it might not be supplying enough power to you computer to run it while it is turned on.

Thanks!

I work for HP.

***Feel free to send me some KUDOS if you think I did a good job***
HP Recommended

Both adapters are original HP 120w adapters, since changing cpu, the " AC adapter power output is too low for this computer " message has stopped.

But i'm still stuck with the problem of the batteries not charging, so any other idea's ?. 

HP Recommended

Maybe...... Can you supply me with the product number of your unit?

I tried to look some info up with your model number, but I could not find a product that matched it.

...Not Giving Up Yet

Thanks!

I work for HP.

***Feel free to send me some KUDOS if you think I did a good job***
HP Recommended

pn :- FP836EA

Hope this helps resolve this issue, found the same model on ebay (uk) with a faulty screen, tempted to buy it and swap a few parts to see if i can narrow down the fault.

Was advised on another forum that the internal charging module chip could be faulty, any idea's as to the part number for this chip so i can check the spec's out ?. 

HP Recommended

Hey Uncletufty,

I am experiencing the exact same problem on an HP Pavillion dv6000... Have you found a solution yet??

HP Recommended

Problem still there, given up now, just keep it plugged into the mains now.

If i need to use the battery, i charge it off the machine using a old faulty ( no video ) system board.

Maybe one day someone will come with a cure.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.