Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I 100% agree with hpdv6er's response in March 2012:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01758220.pdf The problem is that the connector on the right of the webcam module gets pulled out slightly by opening the laptop fully multiple times. The final 6th pin to the right gets bent, a simple fix will solve this. Check out the service guide above, and follow the instructions on page 60-61 for webcam removal. *IMPORTANT* Do Not push the connector back in right away thinking its just loose. The bent pin will bend or break the socket on the connector side, so make sure to check the pin first. Then gently straighten the 6th pin and place the connector back in makeing sure it sits even and secure. Just following those step will take care of the problem.... But it might be temporary, opening the laptop fully a few more times may cause it to happen yet again. If you want to make sure the problem does not occur anymore, simply put a smal drop of glue on the right corner of the connector securing it not only to it's socket, but also to the white speaker box. I'm not sure how much it would cost in parts and labor sending your HP dv6 in to have it fixed. I don't want to know, by takeing 30 mins if that and spending 2$ on glue (only if you don't have any) this problem will be fixed for the life of your machine.

HP Recommended

i had the same problem and i solved it ...... i found out my integrate camera was unplugged.

u gonna have to open de screen cover and plug it it is very easy go to youtube..... good luck

HP Recommended

Don't pay their overpriced repair costs...this happened to my boss' dv6, just pry up the frame around the top and sides.  You do not need to pry out the bottom of the frame.  Use your fingernails under the inside edge of the frame, they have some double sided tape, so it might be a little tough to pry.  Pry it slowly so the tape can separate on its own.  Don't force it quickly or you might damage it.  Make sure you're not prying the silver metal frame of the lcd screen, only the black plastic frame.  There are some plastic hooks that will make a snap sound when you pry the frame out, it'll take some force, so don't be afraid if you hear the snap sounds, it should be able to snap back together if you did it correctly, otherwise you might have to use some tape to tape the frame back, better than paying $100+...haha.  Once you've pryed out the top of the frame and have access to the webcam module, you should see the cable going into it from the bottom, push the cable into the webcam, then see if the problem is solved, the cable most likely just came loose.  If that solved the problem, I suggest using something you can remove, like hot glue to hold it together, just in case the webcam really needs to be replaced, you can melt the glue off and swap it out.

If your microphone is working fine, and just the webcam isn't working, then the problem is most likely a driver issue, or the webcam itself somehow got damaged, which is very unlikely.

HP Recommended

When I open skyupe my webcam is not working asking to buy cyberlink you cam5. Pl. advise

HP Recommended

Thanks. This trick works for me also.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.