Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

@Wildkat wrote:

Fingerprint reader works only with a "Local Account" in Windows 10. Try creating a Local Account instead of usung the Microsoft Account.

That is not true. I have an HP Envy model 15-k163CL, I use a Microsoft account to log in to it, and my fingerprint reader works with the Microsoft account.

HP Recommended

Thank you - this also fixed my problem on the HP Elitebook 850 G2.

HP Recommended

i tried your method and yes it works like a charm.. thank you

windows hello appear along with fingerprint sign in option..

my problem now is fingerprint reader is not working on  boot up of my laptop(hp elitebook 8440p)

fingerprint is in my sign in option but the reader is not working..

but after restart or wake up, its working fine

is there a way to make it work on boot up?.. its kinda anoying or useless when i need to boot  my laptop and enter my password then restart everytime just to make fingerprint reader works

HP Recommended

This worked for me, except that for some reason I had to uncheck in the device's power management the option for "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power. After that my fingerprint scanner started to work. HP Probook 6470b.

Here's how I got Windows Hello to work with my HP Probook 430 G1, but no guarantees it will work for others:

1. Go to Device manager
  2. The sensor should show up under the Biometrics
  3. Uninstall the device and check the box for deleting the driver
  4. Click the Scan for hardware changes button and it may pop up again but with a different driver
  5. Repeat step 3 until you can no longer uninstall and delete the driver -- Mine ended up to be "Synaptics FP Sensors (WBF) (PID=003f)"
  6. Restart the laptop
  7. When back in Windows, go to Settings->Accounts->Sign-In Options
  8. For me, Windows Hello then showed up as the fourth item when it was previously not there
HP Recommended

Hi, after installing the latest biometric driver from HP (year 2015), just go to Windows configuration, Accounts, section fingerprints. You will first have to add a pincode, then you can configure your fingermprints.

HP Security App doesn't recognize the method 'Fingerprints' so you cannot add a policy concerning.

Just use Windows10 own feature in Configuration as described above.

Happy hunting.

HP Recommended

Hi i have the same problem but i dont see any Biometric device in Device Manager. Please help.

HP Recommended

Had the problem where fingerprint logon stopped working after a Windows automatic update. Had worked previously in Windows 10.   After trying several of the instructions here, tried going into HP Security Assistant from Control Panel. Then manage passwords and accounts, then select HP Simplepass.  Since my fingerprint reader was not working, I had to logon with my password.  Then I was able to select Settings and re-enable Windows Logon (lock icon at top of screen.   I had to reboot for this to take affect, but was able to logon with fingerprint. 

Did not have to uninstall any driver or unenroll fingerprints.  All my web and application passwords stored in Simplepass still work.

HP Recommended

Hey,

I'm having the same issue but the only difference is that my model is the HP Pavilion dv6 6100 CTO with the built in fingerprint scanner, and though I tried the hard reset method it didn't work. I tried opening the BIOS setup utility to look whether there are any biometric devices available in there, but with no luck- I couldn't even find the BIOS setup utility in the options when I tried doing it the 'press F2 immediately after turning on the PC' method- it just opens HP configuration, and the only option related to BIOS that's available is 'BIOS management'. 

I'm hoping someone would help in solving this problem- either helping me in finding the BIOS setup utility, or by suggesting a completely different method. 

Thanks,

Nikil

HP Recommended

Thank you Dragon-Fur,

I have an HP Elitebook 8440p. I applied the Scenario 3 solution first. It worked well. The exe Installer won't execute. I removed the old driver and picked the driver from the extracted folder using device manager.

Windows Hello is now working

HP Recommended

@sympathy4all

I am glad that reinstalling the fingerprint Driver is all that was necessary.

The method you describe, that of letting the Device Manager search for and then install the fingerprint Driver is a good solution for stubborn installations.

When you see a Post that helps you,

Inspires you, provides fresh insight,

Or teaches you something new,

Click the "Thumbs Up" on that Post.

Click my Answer Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Dragon-Fur

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.