Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
dv6-3240ca
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

hdmi was working fine before the upgrade (from windows 7 home premium to windows 10).

now it does not identify the tv.

i have changed nothing other than the upgrade.

looks like upgrade messed some driver??

i updated all the drivers i could.

guess didnt fix hdmi driver?

still no identification.

please provide a solution asap.

thanks.

159 REPLIES 159
HP Recommended

Same problem:(

HP Recommended

Same here.

Model - HP Pavilion dv6-3150sa

OS - Upgraded from Windows 7 Home 64bit to Windows 10 Home 64 bit.

Spent all day trying different suggestions.

1, Upgraded drivers for Device Manager-> Display Adapter -> ADM Mobility Radeon 5000 series using windows update.

- version: 15.200.1046.2

2, Upgraded drivers from AMD site:

- version: 15.200.1062.1002

3a, Original drivers for Windows 7:

Disabled windows updates for drivers to stop it automatically removing them.

Uninstalled all AMD software.

Download/ Extract/ Install SP50640.

Display Adapter now shown as ATI Mobility Radeon 5450 drivers from 2010 version 8 something.

3b, Original drivers for Windows 7 installed using compatibility mode and Windows 7 mode.

This option was the closest I got to it working as when I plugged in the HDMI cable it actually made the pluggin in cable windows sound and a new Generic PnP Monitor appeared in Device Manager but still not thing.

Though if I tried to open ATI Control Panel nothing the process launched but nothing actually opened and the process disappeared without error message.

4, Windows Hardware Troubleshooting

I know this is an old laptop - not been test by HP on Windows 10 etc etc, but it is the only issue I have outstanding having upgraded to Windows 10 and I see lots of others with similar issues, so please can you look at providing a fix.

HP Recommended

Likewise, HDMI off the air following Windows 10 on Envy 14.

AMD driver version - 15.200.1062.1002, dated 7/15/2015.

Driver looks awfully fresh, is someone trying to fix the problem?

Various HDMI connections tested, but dead.

HP Recommended

Same problem. Beside that, picture ratio wrong. PnP driver only supports 4:3 while screen is 16:9.

Model:  HP G62-b98ED.

HP Recommended

I got it working!

I had another go at my option 3b I posted before, but this time I also reverted the Intel Graphics drivers first, then when I installed the ATI drivers in compatibility mode it installed drivers for both display adapters.

After a restart, I then connected the HDMI cable got the windows sound but nothing showing. I then used Windows Key + P to cycle to extended display. Nothing. I then right clicked on desktop "Configure Switchable Graphics" and manually changed from High-Performance GPU (ATI) to Power-saving GPU (Intel) and then back again and the monitor came to life!

I have since restarted a number of times and gone in and out of sleep and all settings remain and working as more or less as I expected, I have just a few issues outstanding, see below.

Full set of steps for me where this:

1, Disable Windows Updates for Drivers.

(Windows Key "Change device installation settings" Change to "No, let me choose what to do." -> "Never install driver software from Windows Update". Save Changes.)

2,  Uninstall all ADM/ATI Software and restart.

(I now only have the Intel HD display adapter showing and the other is a "microsoft display adapter" with a warning triangle)

3, Install original Intel HD graphics drivers from HP for laptop - for me this was SP52351. Restart.

(Normal install, when prompted that new drivers exist I said fine to continue.)

4, Install original ADM/ATI graphics driver from HP for laptop in Windows 7 Compatability mode. Restart.

(Detailed here: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-Systems-and-Software/using-Windows-7-drivers-in-Wind... )

I now have both two display adapters showing in device manager with the same driver installed - none from Intel/ Microsoft:

- ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470

- Driver Provider: ATI Technologies Inc.

- Driver Date: 09/09/2010

- Driver Version: 8.771.1.0

- Intel(R) HD Graphics

- Driver Provider: ATI Technologies Inc.

- Driver Date: 09/09/2010

- Driver Version: 8.771.1.0

5, Connected HDMI cable, Windows Key + P, switch to extend. Right Click on Desktop -> Configure Switchable Graphics and change between High-performance and Power-saving modes and back again.

6, Right Click desktop -> Display Properties -> For me showed monitor 2 and 3 available (see issue 2). Click display 2 and select extend and apply.

Issues:

1, Windows Update complains that it can't install updates for the display adapters. Not sure if this will cause issues in future though with other new devices - time will tell.

2, Strangely it now shows as display 3 in the Display Settings. It also shows under "multiple displays" disconnect this display. But then when you click on display 2, it shows extend. I wonder if this is because I have 3 displays showing in device manager and I could just delete one. (Though I'm not going to risk messing it up for now, will post against later if I fix this).

3, With extended display mode, when I disconnect the cable, the apps on the extended panel doesn't come back to the main screen, but I can live with that for now as when I reconnect the cable it is still there. 

4, Using Windows Key + P to cycle no longer works. I think this might be related to Issue 2.

I hope these steps can help or point you in the right direction!

HP Recommended

Very interesting! But i have a somewhat different hardware configuration with ATI HD 4200 and AMD HD 5000, So, when i remove all ATI/AMD, i get a black screen? I think must leave one of them, the on-board HD 5000,  the only supported now.

For i'm not in a hurry i think to wait some time to see Microsoft will do something....

HP Recommended
Ok. I was using the Intel adapter when i was uninstalling. You can check which is in use by going into display settings -> advanced settings ->display adapter this should open the properties dialog of the in use adapter. Which for you i guess was the ati.

Is your switchable graphics working to switch to Intel first?
HP Recommended

Hi, thank you for assistance. I didn't fully understand the last question about Intel, but I think the following will clear.

Situation now after update to Windows 10:  HP  notebook G62,   Processor AMD Phenom II Triple core.

Graphics:

AMD Mobility Radeon HD 5000, Driver: date 7-15-2015, version 15.200.1046.2

ATI  Mobility Radeon HD 4200,  No driver installed! (trying under next tab to update, they say: it's unnesessary!)

Issues: Incorrect aspect ratio, only 1 GPU available, HDMI not working, cannot switch diplay.

By the way: I'm living in the Netherlands, running Windows in Dutch, so have to translate some things but hope it's understandable. 

HP Recommended

Hi, @HaSche

See if this works...try manually installing the windows 8 driver for the 4200 GPU since the other one is working.

To do that, first download and install this free file utility.  64bit is the second file on the page.

http://www.7-zip.org/

Then download and save this graphics driver file from amd but don't run it.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/legacy?product=legacy2&os=Windows%208%20-%2064

After you have installed 7-Zip and downloaded the graphics driver file, right click on the graphics driver file and select 7-zip from the list.

Have 7-zip Extract to: and let it extract the files to the driver file name.

Now, try the easy way first and let's hope it works.  If not there is one other way to try.

Go to the device manager and click on the problem 4200 (I assume it is listed as a Microsoft Basic Display Adapter).

Click on the driver tab.  Click on update driver.  Select the Browse my computer for driver software option and browse to the driver folder 7-zip created.

Make sure the Include Subfolders box is checked and see if the driver installs that way.

If not, click on that problem adapter again.  Then click on the details tab at the top of the adapter window.

Now you should see a Property drop down list and it will be defaulted to Device Description.

Drop down on that list and select the 3rd item (Hardware ID's).

Post the top string of characters you see in the window.

I need to know that ID because there are at least two HD 4200's listed in the driver setup information file, and I will need to know which one you need to choose in the more complicated second attempt to install the driver.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.