Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

It's not just the Intel/AMD switchable cards. I have an AMD 8650G + 8670M dual graphics card and I still cannot connect my laptop to my TV via HDMI.

First I get a message saying that my graphics card has stopped and recovered successfully. Then if I leave the HDMI plugged in, I eventually get a blue screen with an error VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE.

From reading this forum, it looks like HP laptops in general are having this issue.

HP Recommended

Hi, I think you can consider going back when you use win 10 system recovery. During the win 10 installation a backup has been made on your HDD.  So at least you get the situation  on that moment.  I did it and surprisingly the work i did under win 10 was also available.

To do (hope i can remember) Start>settings (wheel)>backup and system recovery. Chose recover original system. You'r asked for the reason of recovery so you can spend your grief, confirm and wait. If you have a normal HDD it will take at least half an hour i think. After automatic restart, after some time you'll see Microsoft tries to get you again to win 10, shows message: your win 10 intallation is avaialable, and starts an automatic  download. Go to (oh I don't know in english) security center, stop download, switch automtic download off. If you don't, download starts later again followed without notice with a new installation of win 10 blocking your PC for an hour or more (How unfrendly can it be). After that you get a warning auto recovery is off, ignore that. If it's not your  turn , no worry. Maybe someone else have profit.

By the way, if update unintended started, ignore "don't shut off your pc" and press on/of 10 seconds until off,  start and try to block again.

HP Recommended

Please when someone effectively confirms there is a fix post a message here.

HP Recommended

I guess we just have to wait for AMD to release new drivers. 

HP Recommended

For those having this issue, I'm just wondering:

When you check dxdiag, do you see DirectX version 11.xx and WDDM 1.3?

HP Recommended

Thanks to everyone for posting on here... was going a bit crazy trying to get my HDMI output to work. (In particular Culdee's post on 03/08/2015 that seemed to be a great summary of the situation)

From reading all of the above, it does indeed seem that there's a driver issue on HP machines with switchable graphics and Windows 10 (I have an 14inch Envy laptop from a few years back).

Great to know it can be fixed by rolling by to Windows 7 - for my part I think that's what I'm going to do until updated drivers are available.

As someone else requested, could get an update on this forum when a driver fix is available please?

Thanks again for your help all.

HP Recommended

I reverted back to windows 8.1 and it took about 10 minutes.

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

i reverted back to 7 as well. no point in upgrading to 10  if i almost exclusively use the laptop for the hdmi out. took under 30 minutes. i have disabled automatic updating and was not bothered last night at least.

would be good if some HP employee or Microsoft employee was wacthing this tread.

would upgrade to 10 still be free if we folks wait until hdmi driver is fixed to upgrade?

HP Recommended

@funinagg wrote:

would be good if some HP employee or Microsoft employee was wacthing this tread.

Agreed, a proper fix would be appreciated guys.

Although I managed to get it working I still have a few issues as mentioned previously, but to add to that list now, if I disconnect the external monitor, put the computer in sleep (i.e. shut the lid) then open it again - after a load of screen flickering it crashes and restarts. So only work around is to remember to shutdown rather than sleep when I disconnect from watching things on the TV!

Though the boot time of 10 seems pretty good, so I think for now I will stick with it and hope there is someone out there working on a proper fix for this - one can but hope!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.