Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Windows 8 hp pavilion dv7 black screen. It works fine until I download anything. I downloaded Java to upload pictures I keis from samsung galaxy note 2 - and Wham -BLACK SCREEN. I have to hit the off button to restart and hit alt f4 like a maniac until I can hit escape to "refresh" windows 8. I've done this at least 10 times!!!! Any ideas? Help!
HP Recommended

I am goin through the same thing, I have even gone throught the start up test.....I am hoping my hard drive hasn't went out because I too use my machine for college courses and I have only had mine for a year and a half at the most.  Will keeep you posted

HP Recommended

None of that worked for me, I even tried the "start-up test" it passed the memory test  the hard disk test and Hard disk Smart Test

HP Recommended

I had encountered laptop problem yesterday. 

The laptop's screen black out even though the power button is on. The wireless button is remained red and CAPS LOCK & Num Lk Buttons' light keep blinking. 

I tried several method but failed. I tried to remove battery, unplug the charger and hold down the power button for 30seconds and try to on the laptop again but failed. What else I can do? Since my screen is all black out I couldnt see anything as well. I tried to use hair dyer to fan it but still. URGENT, PLEASE HELP!!!!

HP Recommended

Hello siewgian,

I see that you are having start up problems with your HP computer. I would like to help with this issue but I need some information.

Can you provide the model and product number of the computer? Here is a link that shows how to find that information.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓

HP Recommended

I've had a similar problem with my Hp pavillion dv7-4065dx caps lock botton on as well as the wireless and the power light. But no blinking lights. I left it on hibernate for two days and then i turned it off and the next day Black screen with those lights on. I checked the motherboard but it doesn't seem burned. I've also tried hard reset but nothing. No signal on exetnal monitor either. What's the problem?

HP Recommended

Hello Mayra_1,

I see that you are having problems with no display when turning on your computer. I have a couple of suggestions that may help with this issue.

Here is a link to some troubleshooting steps that may help with your issue. Follow the steps in the link and let me know what happens.

Would you be comfortable taking the memory (RAM) out of the computer?

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓

HP Recommended

I am having the same problem with my Pavilion dv7.  SOUNDS like it has started up, but wireless light remains red while CAPS & NUM Lock flash intermittently.  My laptop has no battery, is powered solely by being plugged in. I have unplugged it, forced shut down (by holding the power button) waited 30 seconds, 2 minutes, etc. and the screen remains black.   I had just used it, closed the computer and when I re-opened it half an hour later we encountered the problem.  

Since the screen is black, I am not able to run any of the F8 suggestions, or any other type of startup.  While we have another computer in the house, this is the one that has all our photos, as well as my photo editing software, and all our business files (Publisher, etc.) that are not on the backup laptop. 

HP Recommended

Hello AmberBeck,

I see that you are having start up problems with your HP computer.

Have you tried connecting to an external monitor? 

You stated that the caps and num lock lights are blinking, here is a link to a document that goes over blink codes. Click on the link and let me know if the computer is giving any of the blink codes.

Signature

HP Recommended

I am also having this same problem with a black screen on start up. The fans runs but nothing appears on screen. My computer was plugged in, but the connector separated at the power supply. The battery was not charging. My daughter had her MP3 player plugged in, so I suspect it did not go into sleep mode with the computer and drained the battery. The caps lock light blinks once. The hard reset did not work. It is a Pavilon dv6 using Windows 7. Help, please!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.