The HP Community is here for you.
11-30-2011 10:03 PM
All of a sudden my computer stopped communicating with my printer, neither wireless or wired.
Solved! View Solution.
Re: my "computer cannot communicate with the printer"
12-01-2011 09:10 PM
11-30-2011 11:25 PM
1) Go into Start>Devices/Printers and check the status of your printer.
2) Did you try turning off/on your printer and/or rebooting your computer? That will typically solve most hickups.
3) Lastly, did you update something because that could have corrupted some drivers? You may want to check for any updates and/or re-install your software if the above doesn't work.
08-24-2012 08:21 PM
My printer and computer all of a sudden stopped communicating. HP printer and scan doctor tells me there is nothing wrong, but no test page will print nor will it print from any other program. I have a HP Officejet Pro 8500a and have been hooked up by usb port. I have switched usb ports, changed out cables and uninstalled and reinstalled programs from HP's official site. The printer will still fax, scan and copy but will not talk to the computer.
A friend told me to trash this printer and get another one. I cannot afford that. My husband has just had hernia surgery and will be out of work for at least 8 weeks. We have saved all we can to prepare for this and simply cannot afford another printer now. I have to print reports from his and my job at home quite often.
Give me suggestions please. I am about to try replacing the usb port in the printer. I hope someone will tell me how to correct this issue before I try something I have never done before. What can I hurt if I tear the printer apart and do not fix it? It will not work now!
08-29-2012 10:18 PM - edited 08-29-2012 10:21 PM
Sorry to hear you are having problems and hopefully you have it solved by now!
If not try troubleshooting a few different ways. I'm assuming you've done some of the following so ignore the obvious.
1) Turn the printer and/or computer off, then back on; otherwise....
2) Make sure you are printing to the correct printer! Sometimes the computer will default to another printer or fax service and not the actual printer. So check that when you print or go into your "Devices" to set it as the default; otherwise...
3) Try Windows updates or updates for your specific printer. Othewise, you may want to consider restoring your computer to a time when everything was functioning properly; otherwise...
4) Disconnect the printer and uninstall the software. I would recommend then running a registry utility to be sure there are no remnants of the software, such as "Free Windows Registry Repair" and/or "CCleaner". You can get both of those at CNET.com. Reboot again and then reinstall the software. DO NOT hook up the printer until prompted to do so; otherwise...
5) If the above steps do not work, then repeat step 4 several times. Sometimes it is hard to remove old installation files and can cause re-install issues; otherwise...
6) It may well be time to look for another printer. I'd try it on someone else's computer first though before trading in or trashing...
10-30-2013 05:43 PM
I have the same issue with my E6520 Printer. All of the sudden it say cannot communicate with printer. I unplugged the power cord, rebooted pc, uninstalled/reinstalled software via usb cable. Still won't connect. I do have the printer set as the default printer both control panel & under where it shows the printer in another location. HP hasn't given me any suggestions on how to fix the issue.
10-31-2013 01:26 PM
What is the operating system you are trying to connect with? Where do you see this error on the computer or the printer?