Blower motor runs at high speed when pavilion turned on and remains at high speed. (695 Views)
Top Student
waltw
Message 1 of 9 (695 Views)

Blower motor runs at high speed when pavilion turned on and remains at high speed.

HP Pavilion Slimline s5-1114, windows 7  64 bit.

This is an occasional problem.  When turned on, even after being off for 24hrs, the fan speed immediately goes to high speed and remains on as long as the HP is powered up.  I can power down then back up and the fan speed reverts to normal (can hardly hear it).    Problem happens perhaps once or twice a week.  The HP sets on top of desk in air conditioned space.

Thanks.

Master's Graduate
sumsolstice
Message 2 of 9 (669 Views)

Re: Blower motor runs at high speed when pavilion turned on and remains at high speed.

Often issues of these types are resolved in BIOS updates.   I do see a newer 7.16 revision BIOS posted to HP.COM for this system - not sure which version you are running.   I didn't specifically see this symptom being addressed in the BIOS update, but you might want to give it a try first.

You can look for it on the software and driver download page on hp.com for your model, or a direct link to the BIOS update is below:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp56001-56500/sp56122.exe

-DM (HP Retiree)

NOTE: If this helps you or solved your problem - please say thanks by clicking the white kudos star on the left.

If you think this would also help others, please mark 'Accept as Solution' to help them find it easier.
Honor Student
gnational
Message 3 of 9 (644 Views)

Re: Blower motor runs at high speed when pavilion turned on and remains at high speed.

Hello, did you ever get this fixed? I am having the same issue and a bios update did not fix it.
Thanks

Top Student
waltw
Message 4 of 9 (632 Views)

I still have the problem, but it has been about a week since it showed up.

Thanks for input.

Honor Student
gnational
Message 5 of 9 (605 Views)

That is about the duration I am seeing, it happens evey 1-2 weeks, and on mine, it is the cpu fan that is the culprit. I guess it's not a big deal at the moment, as long as it does not worsen in time. I will let you know if I find a remedy.

Thanks again

Top Student
waltw
Message 6 of 9 (596 Views)

Thanks for input.

I recently received an automatic update from HP a couple of weeks ago, and thus far the problem has not resurfaced.

Don't know if BIOS was addressed in that update.

Thanks Walt

Teacher
LarryMeBoy
Message 7 of 9 (589 Views)

The fan that speeds up on boot and at seemingly "random" times on my Phoenix h9-1170t is the Voltage Regulator Module fan. It is loud when it speeds up.

Honor Student
JoelKatz
Message 8 of 9 (371 Views)

Re: Pavilion blower motor intermittantly runs at high speed and often remains at high speed.

This seems to happen particularly when internet (FIrefox) has a large file up such as a newpaper.

Honor Student
JoelKatz
Message 9 of 9 (369 Views)

Re: Pavillion Air Filter

Does the Pavilion blower have an air filter? If so, how is it accessed and how can it be cleaned?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation