Question

Student
FoofyNuNu
Message 1 of 10 (19,682 Views)

Blue Screen of Death...HELP!

Every now and then, I get the dreaded blue screen of death on my computer. It freezes up so therefore I have to shut off my computer manually sans-power button. It drives me crazy because I haven't installed any new hardware since I got the computer about a year ago. Software-wise, not so sure. Since I hadn't really taken into account as to whether or not this could be the case, I can't really say exactly what programs I have installed since the first BSoD. I'm an avid user of Sims 2 dowloads, music programs, comp. optimization and picture/art creation and so forth. I try to keep up with my updates and don't go to every site downloading any and everything.

I don't want to end up trying to play Sherlock myself and having to replace a thousand dollar computer. This was a gift. (Trying not to brag but times are hard...money isn't falling from the sky...D= ) I've been all over Google and help forums trying to find answers to this. I'm not that satisfied with the answers. I've even done a routine cleaning of the computer's fan. I don't know what else to do aside from what I've been advised--and I'm honestly a little afraid to do it since it involves the BIOS and so forth.

I have noticed, however, that the computer seems to be a tad warm and makes slow moaning sounds. Obvious signs of overheating. (Which made me clean the fan.) However despite the fact that I cleaned the fan from inside out, the warmth and the howling still confuse me. 

Getting to the point..

About an hour or two ago from the time I write this (it is 7:22 PM central) I got the dreaded BSoD while on Youtube.com. I use Firefox as my browser and had about maybe 4-5 tabs open. I also run Gomez PEER along with Windows Live Mail, the sidebar, and about 3-4 taskbar applications. (The rest of the icons are indicators for ZoneAlarm, Caps Lock, and Scroll Lock) Halfway into the video, everything stops. Black screen for two seconds, Blue screen afterwards. Below is a video of what was on the blue screen. (After seeing it enough times, it dawned on me to record it.) 

The video can be seen here.

Intern
bassfisher6522
Message 2 of 10 (19,610 Views)

Re: Blue Screen of Death...HELP!

What excatly where you doing when you get the bsod? What systems utility software do you have...ie system mechanic, norton system suite? My educated guess is telling me it's a software issue with the good chance of a bug as a kicker...ie..virus, adware, malware and spyware of some sort. System Mechanics has known issues working with vista and later adding some software or hardware such as a web came. When they would run the program to clean up system it would generate bsod. Run all your spyware and ad/malware  programs to clean system of that junk. Then run Antivirus program and check to see what that finds. Then defrag harddrive, this will help speed up system response time, making your computer access programs and files faster. Run all that software and post back with results and will go form there.
OS Vista Home Premium 32 bit
CPU AMD Athlon 64x2 6000+ 3.0ghz
Motherboard Asus M4N78 Pro
Memory 3Gb PC2-5300 DDR2 @ 667mhz
Graphics Card BFG Nvidia Geforce 8400 GS 512MB DDR2
Monitor(s) Displays HP W1907 LCD 19", Gateway HD 19" LCD

Antec Earthwatt 80 plus 500 watts
Hard Drives 640GB 7200rpm SATA (2x320)
Other Info Optical: Super Muliti DVD burner w/lightscribe, Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1800
PhD Student
PC_Tester
Message 3 of 10 (17,807 Views)

From the video you posted, the crash seems to be on

nnrnstdi.SYS

Go to the vendor's website and see what you need to do to resolve it

http://en-us.nielsen.com/tab/product_families/nielsen_netratings

Tutor
AmyTaylor
Message 4 of 10 (17,785 Views)

yeah, I hate that screen too...I think there is a tool that you can get to prevent that...google it
Provost
old_geekster
Message 5 of 10 (17,765 Views)

I thought that I would let everyone know that this thread is over a year old.   :smileysurprised:  The original poster hasn't visited the forum since the thread began in 2008.

HP Phoenix ENVY 810-135qe
- i7-4770K (liquid cooled); 8 GB memory; GT 640 (4 GB), SSD (Samsung EVO 840-500 GB); 600W PSU; Win 7 Ultimate

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say 'Thanks'**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Message 6 of 10 (17,694 Views)

I too!! experience the dreaded blue screen. HP Support team advised me to remove Cyberlink PowerDVD6 softare installed, as I had bought and installed PowerDVD9 and this was causing a conflict. Removing the PowerDVD6 from the hard drive, certainly did the trick, to-date no Blue Screen - I must not crow too loud or Windows7 might change that. Personally, I think Windows7 is the most unpredictable OS to come out - settings and applied, like magic return to Default.
Still learning, thanks for your help.
Honor Student
tmunzs
Message 7 of 10 (16,930 Views)

my hp pavillion did have a blue screen, now it won't start up. any suggestions!

Honor Student
tmunzs
Message 8 of 10 (16,929 Views)

or is this computer dead in the water

Honor Student
tmunzs
Message 9 of 10 (16,927 Views)

maybe I should pay the guy from india his 50 bucks to fix it on the phone!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Student
Asperwine
Message 10 of 10 (13,796 Views)

Okay, I have had this problem before with a dell. I used to play  Sims 2 a lot. During gameplay or right after, the game would crash and go to the bsod. I kept playing Sims, like an idiot, and didn't pay much attention to the bsod. After a while, I couldn't run the game altogether and my Dell just... died. I had to take it to the shop to get it fixed. I was really young at the time and I realize now that my video card(integrated) just couldn't support Sims, slowly killing it the card, which probably led to other system malfunctions. I made sure with my new computer that I had an awesome NON-INTEGRATED graphics card that could support media and gameplay. Maybe your graphics card just can't handle the pressure? :/

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation