Question

Student
Mets4Me
Message 1 of 2 (2,167 Views)

CAN I USE MY PC LIKE AN "ALARM CLOCK"????

I have an HP Touch Smart running Windows 8 (which I don't think means too much to this question).  O.K. Here it is- I'd like to set up my PC to send me "Alerts" kind of like an alarm clock.  If I need to be remimded of an appointment or if I put something in the oven & I need to go check in 1/2 hr, or esp. I want to get in on an auction & it starts in an hr. or so or a later date @ a certain time.  I'd like to st it up on my PC to alert me by a bell or whistle or even better a voice alert saying "the bla bla bla is starting at..."  Can I do this?  Thanks, I'm not great w/computers & how to use them to really simplify my life, normally, it just takes up a lot of my time as I can't type fast, have not set up speaking naturally as I ususally have background noise & think it would require "quiet" & I am also not great w/ instructions.  So all of you wonderfully smart people who know what they are doing, please help me!  Thanks much!

Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 2 of 2 (2,160 Views)

Re: CAN I USE MY PC LIKE AN "ALARM CLOCK"????

Hi Mets4Me,

Windows 8 is actually quite relevant to your situation - it is Made for this stuff.  Smiling.

I do not know if there is actually "the exact APP" you seek out there, but you can certainly start looking and have some fun doing it.

• On your Start Screen, anywhere on the screen, type "Store" > then Click on the "Store" icon to get into the Windows Store
  • Next, same thing:  You can start typing along the top part of the plain, white portion of the screen any words you want:  "alerts", or maybe "to do lists", or perhaps "clock"
  • The Apps that with context for the keyword(s) used will come up on the screen.  You can click on any of the selections to see more about each App.  Be aware that some of the Apps cost money -- not every App is free.

Alternatively, on the Main Store page

• You can use your finger (for a touch screen) or your mouse and slide the bar on the bottom to the right to see the different categories.  Along about 3/4 of the way to the end of the way you will find "Productivity" (after Finance).  You can pick, for example, the "Top Free" Apps list.

Will you find something you like?  I do not know, but you might do so and if not, you might find something that will work well enough for the time being.

Good luck!

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation