Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My HP Compaq dc7700 Small Form Factor Desktop PC has been fitted with a replacement 2.66 GHz Intel Core2Duo processor (E7300), Stepping/CPU ID 10676, but I now receive a pre-boot error message: "1801 - Microcode Update Error.  Missing or Invalid Processor Microcode Update.  Please contact Hewlett-Packard Company for a new Microcode Update to support the new Processor Stepping". 

(The computer boots upon pressing "F1", but the performance is degraded due to the invalid Processor Microcode Update.)

I have emailed HP but have not yet received a reply.   (They may have bigger problems right now!)

The HP documentation for the dc7700 is ambiguous about whether an E7300 processor would be supported.  In this regard, the documentation recommends against fitting processors exceeding 95W, but the E7300 is only a 65W processor (exactly the same as the original E6300 processor).

I have upgraded the PC's System BIOS (to 786E1, Rev 1.16, the latest available on the relevant HP support webpage:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3232108&...

but unfortunately it seems that Rev 1.16 does not include a valid Microcode Update for the E7300 processor).

It appears I may need to wait and hope that HP will post a new and valid Microcode Update for the E7300 on its dc7700 support page.  (With luck, the Microcode Update would be included in a BIOS update that can be implemented through Windows, not via a legacy floppy!)

(I note that Intel supplies an easy Microcode Update, but it's only easy for those running a Linux Enterprise OS.  I'm running Windows Vista Business 64-bit.)

This is my first post.  Thanks for any advice on the problem I have outlined above.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thank you Paul and Frank,

The evidence you have presented against compatibility has begun to look substantial. 

By the way, it's probably not conclusive in itself, but Intel motherboards with a Q965 chipset (at least the board names containing the string "965") also don't appear to support processors beyond E6700...

http://processormatch.intel.com/COMPDB/SearchResult.aspx?BoardName=DG965SS

I'd be content to call my query "solved"  - answered in the negative.   Thanks again and Kudos! to both of you.

With gratitude,

Robert..

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

It looks like the Q965 chipset your system has, is designed for Conroe based 65nm Core 2 Duo CPU's. It appears to max out in the E6xxx series of CPU's. The E7300 is a Wolfdale based 45nm CPU and is unlikely to compatible.

From http://ark.intel.com/products/chipsets/22756#compatibility

Click on left hand column "Compatible Products", then under "Compatible Products" click on "Compatible Processors"

Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E6600 (4M Cache, 2.40 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB) is listed at the top.

From http://www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/datasheet/313053.pdf

1.2 Reference Documents
Intel® Core™2 Duo Desktop Processor E6000 Sequence Thermal
and Mechanical Design Guidelines

Frank

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
HP Recommended

Thank you Frank.  You have answered my question superbly - and have saved me a world of trouble.  I've sent "kudos".

HP Recommended

Hi:

Just run the microcode update from December 2010 and your processor will work just fine.

You may need to put your old processor back in before you run the update but run it with the new one in if you haven't removed it already, and see if it works.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12...

Actually, you can go to the E7600 if you apply this microcode update.

If you need to run this via a FDD, get a USB one. They are cheap and they are essential when doing stuff like this.

Normally you want to run the microcode update before updating the BIOS, so I hope it will install.

You can check if it installed by running it again and if the PC version is the same as the update file it worked. Just cancel out of actually installing it again.

If it still shows the old microcode on the PC's BIOS, it didn't work, and I don't think you will be able to get it to work.

Paul

HP Recommended

Paul, the o/p stated he had previously installed the BIOS ver. 1.16 which includes the microcode update v1.06 dated 21Dec2010.

BIOS Version: 1.16 Rev. A (11 Oct 2011) Enhancements
- Improves security of the BIOS flashing process under certain circumstances by adding a stronger flash process verification algorithm.
- Updates CPU microcode patch version to 1.06.

All info on the Q965 chipset indicates it was designed to work with Conroe C2D E6000 series 65nm CPU's. The E7000 series appears to be a Wolfdale based 45nm CPU. Maybe his chipset is of an earlier stepping than yours and that could be why he is having troubles making it work.

Frank

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
HP Recommended

Yes, you're right, Frank.

I see that the microcode update was included in the latest BIOS.

People have updated their processors to the Wolfdale series by using the microcode update of December 2010.

The BIOS release just came out and I didn't know that.

However, if you read what the microcode update allows for, you will see that it specifically supports up to the E7600.

ENHANCEMENTS:
- Updates the Intel Processor microcode for processors having CPU IDs 6F6, 6F2,
6FD, 10676, and 1067A.

When you look up the CPUID on the E7600, you will see that it is indeed 1067A.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_2/Intel-Core%202%20Duo%20E7600%20AT80571PH0833ML%20(BX80571E7600%...

Here is an exerpt from a post where installing this series CPU works in a dc7700.

"I thought i'd register to let you know that I upgraded my D7700 CPU to an E7200 two days ago and it was recognised correctly after the microcode update was applied. The speed is identified correctly in the BIOS and Windows and it's a fair bit faster than before. I am however having some stability issues with the display no longer coming back on after standy and my wireless network connection is dropping out a lot more often for no good reason so I have a bit more digging to do or I'll revert back to my old CPU because stability trumps speed in my book."

and tihis one...

"Update microcode to version 1.06 is the most important thing and your PC can use CPU with id 1067A ( Eg: pentium E5700, E6500.....C2D 7xxx,) Remember this update only for CPU microcode, your Bios version still 3.05

Download sp51243.exe (http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12...) and follow the instruction, you must better use an USB flashdrive to do update CPU microcode. I have failed to update for the first time because I was use a CD-RW

And for the first time boot up with E5300, i still receive microcode error message, After update CPU microcode one more time, it is OK!"

Maybe there are various motherboard revisions that I am not aware of.

Theoretically, his processor upgrade should have worked.

Paul

HP Recommended

Thank you Paul and Frank,

The evidence you have presented against compatibility has begun to look substantial. 

By the way, it's probably not conclusive in itself, but Intel motherboards with a Q965 chipset (at least the board names containing the string "965") also don't appear to support processors beyond E6700...

http://processormatch.intel.com/COMPDB/SearchResult.aspx?BoardName=DG965SS

I'd be content to call my query "solved"  - answered in the negative.   Thanks again and Kudos! to both of you.

With gratitude,

Robert..

HP Recommended

but is true it works 

i have a dc7700 sff with a celeron 3400 wich is 45 nm wolfdale but it i had to install the  processor and then  make the microcode update ...iff you first make the update then ..install the proc is not working

HP Recommended

Hi stafiejulien,

Thanks for your post.  I tried again today (with another Wolfdale chip) and again I failed.  The dc7700 I used today has a relatively old BIOS (1.10 from 2007) and I attempted to install a 2.33 GHz Intel Core2Duo (E6550) processor.  The only result was a dire error code: 9 red blinks - indicating that the system powered up but was unable to boot.  I've now reinstalled the original E6300 CPU.

By the way, I've successfully installed an E6700 CPU (not a Wolfdale) on another dc7700 (with BIOS 1.16).

Thanks anyway,

Robert.

HP Recommended

Hi everyone,

I upgraded an old dc7700 sff today from a Pendium D 925 to a Core 2 Duo E7500 (to get VT-x).

Before installing the CPU, I had previously applied both the Microcode v1.06 update and BIOS v1.16 update. However, when I turned on the computer after fitting the CPU I still saw the same Microcode error that people have reported.

To fix this, I reran the microcode update and have not had any problems since.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.