Question

Student
Nana53
Message 1 of 2 (129 Views)

Compaq CQ56 Laptop/Will not reboot/black screen

Hi...I am new to this forum...I have a Compaq CQ56 laptop....just recently while updating my spyware and installing my updates, when the system reboots the screen remains black....I launch the system repair...it takes  me to the system restore window...did the system restore and the computer rebooted just fine....however everytime I need to install an update and reboot...I run into the same issue each time.  Ran the Hard disk and Memory diagnostic test and that passed without any issue.  I did notice a loud noise which I assume was coming from the fan....not sure.  

Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2762895) failed at the install.  Is there another fix outside of having to take in for repair?

Thank you for your time

Regents Professor
Travis_C
Message 2 of 2 (106 Views)

Compaq CQ56 Laptop/Will not reboot/black screen

Hello Nana53

Do you only run into the problem when you try to install just the Windows 7 update (KB2762895) or does it happen when trying to update any application? You said the screen is black, so how did you perform the system repair? Are you referring to the black screen as the screen goes black while windows is trying to load and you do see the BIOS and boot options?

Searching the internet I have found mixed feelings and problems with users installing the Windows update. It seems to be meant to improve compatibility of programs, however, some applications aren't liking the changes.
http://goo.gl/ZNBsQ

In your case it isn't working. You can hide it from view so that you don't need to update it. This should prevent the problem from reoccurring. Hide Windows 7 Updates that you do not Ever Want to Install

For more information about the update and/or if you want to try manually downloading and installing it check out the link below.
Application Compatibility Update for Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, and Windows Server 2008 R2: Nov...
Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation