Question

Honor Student
linrick04
Message 1 of 3 (686 Views)

Compaq Presario Battery Issue

Lately when I start my desk top up it gets stuck in Dos mode telling me my CMOS battery is low. I need to know what battery I need to get. I am sure it is just a button battery and an easy install but need the battery info first. Have tried searching hp with no luck...probably since the pc is like 4 years old. Thanks for the assist!

Honor Student
linrick04
Message 2 of 3 (684 Views)

Re: Compaq Presario Battery Issue

oh yeah the desk top is a compaq presario sr2170nx.

Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Message 3 of 3 (677 Views)

Re: Compaq Presario Battery Issue

[ Edited ]

linrick04 wrote: Lately when I start my desk top up it gets stuck in Dos mode telling me my CMOS battery is low. I need to know what battery I need to get. I am sure it is just a button battery and an easy install but need the battery info first. Have tried searching hp with no luck...probably since the pc is like 4 years old. Thanks for the assist!

Hello linrick04, The battery you seem to be referring to is the CMOS battery that is located on the motherboard.

Here  is a link for the specifications for your systen motherboard, where you can see the CMOS battery in the lower right corner of the motherboard. It is between the blue ribbon connector and the black square heatsink.

The CMOS battery is an American quarter size coin cell type, usually with the number of CR2032 and 3 volts.

These can usually be found at most stores that sell batteries. The usually cost less than $5.00 USD.

To change the CMOS battery, just disconnect the power cord, remove the side panel and locate the battery.

The battery is held in the battery mount by a small clip. Just apply a small bit of pressure on the side clamp and th battery should just slip from the holder. When you insert the new battery, make sure the polarity + is showing on top of the battery to insure it is installed correctly.

Then reinstall the side panel, connect the power cord, and boot the system and enter the BIOS and set the date, time, year, save these settings and reboot and all should be fine, without the error message.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation