Question

Honor Student
FatherDal
Message 1 of 4 (3,080 Views)
Accepted Solution

Compaq Presario SR5510F POST beep code

My Compaq Presario SR5510F fails its POST and gives 1 short & 1 long beep repeatedly. What does this code mean? I cannot find this code on any beep code list I have been able to locate.

Blessings,

Father Dal
Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Message 2 of 4 (3,075 Views)

Re: Compaq Presario SR5510F POST beep code

[ Edited ]

FatherDal wrote: My Compaq Presario SR5510F fails its POST and gives 1 short & 1 long beep repeatedly. What does this code mean? I cannot find this code on any beep code list I have been able to locate.

Hello FatherDal, Here  is the link that describes Beep Codes on some HP/Compaq computers.

This appears to be a memory beep code. You may want to remove all of the memory modules except one and boot the system and see if it will boot. If you still get the Beep Code, replace that memory module with another and try again.

Beeps                                                                        Description

1 short beep and 1 long beep                              Memory problem

Using the approach, you may be able to determine if your system has some faulty memory.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

Honor Student
FatherDal
Message 3 of 4 (3,060 Views)

Dear Hanspuppa,

Thank you so much for your help.  Actions suggested by your response appear to have solved my problem.

Blessings,

Father Dal
Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Message 4 of 4 (3,059 Views)

[ Edited ]

FatherDal wrote: Dear Hanspuppa, Thank you so much for your help.  Actions suggested by your response appear to have solved my problem.

Hello FatherDal, That is really great news. if you determined that your system had at least one faulty memory module, and you want to replace this faulty module, you might want to consider replacing all the memory modules, and puchase some additional memory that may increase your system performance.

Here  is the link for the specifications for your system. It shows your system was shipped with 2 GBs of system memory.

It also shows the system supports up to 4 GBs of system memory, and your system shipped with Vista x86 (32 bit).

All 32 bit operating systems can only recogonize up to 3.25 GBs to 3.5 GBs of memory. The x64 bit version can recogonize the entire 4 GBs of system memory.

I would suggest upgrading your system memory to 4 GBs in 4X1 GB modules. Even though your current operating system would not recognize the entire 4 GBs of system memory, you should see a performance increase with the additional memory. 

Here  is the link to Crucial Memory where you can purchase compatible memory for your Compaq system.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation