Computer Powers on, but does NOT Boot up. (29130 Views)
Tutor
PreciousS2
Message 1 of 15 (29,130 Views)

Computer Powers on, but does NOT Boot up.

Hello. I've been jumping to random forums for some help and it did not really help me.

So finally...I am here!

Anyways, my computer died on me. I had it for about 4 years. Here are some specific details concerning my problem.

I was on my computer when it was raining and thundering. My modem fried, but my computer still worked. I've been using my computer for almost a week without internet connection. I finally exchanged my modem (since it was still under warranty) and tried to hook up the new modem. When I tried to turn on my PC, the fan kept running and nothing showed up on the monitor. The keyboard did not power on either. It said "No Signal Input" on the monitor and that was about it. The last time I used my PC was 2 days before I changed the modem.

I did some research because I want to fix the problem myself rather taking it to a technician. However, there is a tech that I sort of know and he gave me some advice. He said it could be the power supply or the motherboard. I went online and bought myself a new power supply. I changed the old power supply to the new one that arrived that day. Sadly, it did not work. It was the same.

I was trying to buy a new motherboard...but I'm scared that it will do the same. I am not 100% if it is the motherboard...

Any help/advice will be appreciated!

Thanks.

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 15 (29,138 Views)

Re: Computer Powers on, but does NOT Boot up.

Hi,

Do you mean cable or ADSL modem or one that was installed in your PC?

If the processor fan is running then your motherboard and processor are probably ok.  If the PSU fan is running that means it has received an OK to power on signal from the motherboard.

try removing your memory modules.  Test the modules by installing a single module in the DIMM slot closest to the processor and attempting to start your PC.

regards,

erico 

****If my suggestion was helpful, you can say thanks by clicking on the purple thumbs up icon in the lower left corner of a post ***

****Please click on the Accept As Solution button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having****
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Tutor
PreciousS2
Message 3 of 15 (29,104 Views)

Hi erico. Thank you for the reply.

Everyone told me it's the motherboard...now you said something different so I want to give it a shot before I do buy a new motherboard.

It's a cable modem. It's the same modem that I had previously. What I did though was after I got the new modem, I hooked it up without powering my computer on. It's the same modem so I figured it is not a big deal. When I tried to turn it on after I hooked everything up, it powered on, but nothing happened. The fan kept running and nothing showed up on the monitor. 

What the technician (that I sort of know) told me was that after my modem fried, the static from the lightning probably went to my PC since the modem was hooked up to it anyways. And even though my computer worked for a good 4-5 days after that incident, something was slowly dying. He then suggested the Power supply or the Motherboard.

I thought my HDD fried, but this other guy replaced my HDD and he said the computer won't read anything so he said it now may be the motherboard.

What do you mean removing my memory modules? I'm not good with computers :smileysad:

Yes, the processor fan is running, but nothing seems to boot up. The windows page does not load, it only has a blank screen and says "No Input Signal" then my monitor shuts down.

The keyboards does not work either so I can't do anything :smileysad:

Thanks!

Provost
erico
Message 4 of 15 (29,151 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Based on the information you provided, it looks like flashing the BIOS is perhaps your only option. As you have said that your level of tech understanding is low, I recommend that you replace the motherboard.

Flashing the BIOS involves extracting the ROM file from the BIOS driver exe and making either a bootable USB stick to flash it from or using a USB floppy disk drive. If you want to try it I can find some links where it is explained in a reasonable way, but the explanation expects the reader to have some advanced PC software savvy. It is a bit tricky and fairly easy to make a mistake and totally "brick" (expensive paperweight) your motherboard. 

regards,

erico 

Message Edited by erico on 09-29-2009 08:06 AM
Message Edited by erico on 09-29-2009 08:06 AM

****If my suggestion was helpful, you can say thanks by clicking on the purple thumbs up icon in the lower left corner of a post ***

****Please click on the Accept As Solution button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having****

Tutor
PreciousS2
Message 5 of 15 (29,101 Views)

Hello.

Flashing the BIOS seems like a difficult task. I'm a bit scared but I do want to give it a try. But I think changing a motherboard is a difficult task also heh.

I might have to call a friend to do that for me. :smileyhappy: Or I can try to change it with my sisters.

I remember someone said to do something with the BIOS on some forum..but I didn't understand how because I can't get anything to work.

I can't seem to find a new motherboard for my PC on the HP store either :smileysad:

I had my computer for just about 4 years now..and it was working perfectly well. Now I'm into this mess but hopefully I'll get my computer to boot!

I don't have any advanced PC software sawy..nor I know much about computers.  I'll try to find links on how to flash the BIOS.

Thank you once again for replying!

Provost
erico
Message 6 of 15 (29,090 Views)

Hi,

Post the model name and model number of your HP product.

For most OSes hold the CTRL and ALT keys and tap the S key. I will search to see if we can find a source for a  reasonably priced replacement motherboard.

I can provide instructions on how to flash a BIOS for you. It is actually not that difficult if you strictly adhere to the instructions and that will make the risk minimal.

regards,

erico 

Tutor
PreciousS2
Message 7 of 15 (29,062 Views)

Hi again and thanks again.

I have a HP Pavilion a1130n.  I can't hold the CTRL and ALT keys or anything because my keyboard does not function.

So that leads me to the flashing the BIOS question.  Does it require to use the keyboard? I can't use the keyboard :smileysad: I saw some clips of it on youtube and everyone had a working keyboard and monitor at the most.

My friend is also helping me find a motherboard (I hope) since he is a tech. I will compare prices and see which one is worth it :smileyhappy:

I have another quick question. When I was troubleshooting each part of my PC..like the RAM. I heard no beeps. I took the RAM out and powered on my PC. I heard no beeps. Does that indicate that the motherboard is dead if it does not post or beep?

I just want to be 100% sure that it is the motherboard because it wasn't the power supply :smileysad:

Thank you!

Provost
erico
Message 8 of 15 (29,057 Views)

PreciousS2 wrote:

Hi again and thanks again.

I have a HP Pavilion a1130n.  I can't hold the CTRL and ALT keys or anything because my keyboard does not function.

So that leads me to the flashing the BIOS question.  Does it require to use the keyboard? I can't use the keyboard :smileysad: I saw some clips of it on youtube and everyone had a working keyboard and monitor at the most.

My friend is also helping me find a motherboard (I hope) since he is a tech. I will compare prices and see which one is worth it :smileyhappy:

I have another quick question. When I was troubleshooting each part of my PC..like the RAM. I heard no beeps. I took the RAM out and powered on my PC. I heard no beeps. Does that indicate that the motherboard is dead if it does not post or beep?

I just want to be 100% sure that it is the motherboard because it wasn't the power supply :smileysad:

Thank you!

HI,
Yes. A keyboard is required to flash the BIOS. With most PCs at the end of the Power on self test there is a single beep. It just means POST OK.
regards,
erico 

Intern
martinmm
Message 9 of 15 (28,766 Views)

hey,

so it worked until... hooked it up.software surprise ? follow the directions for new hook up to the dsl/other .... next time?

You may be able to reboot with a surge protector,just flip the switch off/then on quick.this cuts power briefly causeing emergency start(ReBoot).

Also turning off the power completely(unplug if need be)then press and hold the on/off button for the computer,20seconds or so.if it clicks while your holding it release it and reconnect and start it up.

both of these have worked for me when in a spot like you have.Your dsl did not recognize the computer and visversa.protection features,huh?

you may still have some issues until they know each other.watch your settings and good luck.

Provost
erico
Message 10 of 15 (28,761 Views)

Hi,

Here is a link to your motherboard specification, complete with a diagram and instructions on how to clear the CMOS. Do not forget to unplug the power connector from the rear of the PC and afterwards press the power button and hold it for a few seconds before beginning the clear CMOS procedure. The procedure does not state to remove the CMOS battery, but that is normally what those of us who know what we are doing make sure and do. Leave it out until after you have had the jumper in the clear cmos position for a while. Then replace it afterwards.If you don't know how to remove the battery, just do a search for "how to remove BIOS battery" in Google.

Look down near the bottom of the web document to find the explanation and photo.

. Actuall it would be a good idea to print it. There are even color photos that show where the jumper is located. When you put the jumper in clear cmos position, leave it there for a few hours or even overnight if you have the patience.

This method is actually famous for reviving motherboards from the "grave" figuratively speaking.  

regards,

erico 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation