Question

Honor Student
jeffwin1668
Message 1 of 5 (6,514 Views)

Computer does not recognize compact flash or other photo media card inserted

I have a new HP Pavilion Elite m9250f PC (less than 1 yr old) which runs on Vista. It has the front card slots to insert compact flash and other media cards. It has been running fine all along and all I have to do is insert the card and I can view or import the photos to my PC. Recently, not sure how, the computer will not recognize the inserted cards as photo cards and when I tried to open it using explorer, it will ask me to format the drive before use. I did not click yes fearing it will erase all my photos in the compact flash card. I can view the compact flash in the camera with all my photos intact but once inserted in the PC, it will not work. Tried other media cards (from cell phone), same thing. I can see all the pictures in my cell phone but cannot view or import them to my PC using the card slot. Any suggestions? Is that a setting that I've accidently changed on my PC?

Thanks...

Top Student
elyella
Message 2 of 5 (6,539 Views)

Re: Computer does not recognize compact flash or other photo media card inserted

I just logged on to report the very same problem! I have a brand new Pavillion Elite m9510f -- two days old. It read my digital camera card just fine yesterday but today does not even acknowledge it is inserted.

I did notice one problem yesterday in that it seemed to download the videos on my card as photos...but will work on that later. Now wondering what the heck is going on with it not reading the card.

Help!

Master's Graduate
Bill_Hicks
Message 3 of 5 (6,478 Views)

Re: Computer does not recognize compact flash or other photo media card inserted

Maybe some of the steps in this hp article will help?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph07910&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en

"A riot is the language of the unheard." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Honor Student
jeffwin1668
Message 4 of 5 (6,469 Views)

I've read the article suggested and tried shutting it down, remove power cord etc.. but no use.  I've also opened the side panel to take a look but cannot remove the front cover to dis-assemble the 15 in 1 card reader as instructed.  Please Help!!  I ran the PC diagnostics and everything checks out fine including the 15 in one card reader.  The light comes on when I insert the CF disk or other photo media disk in the applicable slots but I cannot import or view any photos on the card.  If I use Windows explore to open it up, it will ask me to format the disk before use.  Any suggestions?  Should I just go ahead and format the disk as it suggests?

Thanks...

Top Student
elyella
Message 5 of 5 (6,442 Views)

Funny, just inserted the SD card again and voila, it's working again.

OK, so maybe it's not that funny since this computer is only four days old. Truly hope it's not a sign of things to come with HP.

Now I am trying to figure out why when I use the PRT SCR key to do a screen grab, it only captures a black box, no image.

Sigh.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation