Question

Student
dpcrn
Message 1 of 2 (686 Views)

Computer turns off even with Battery Back-UPS

I have an HP Pavillion Slimline s3400z that is plugged into the battery backup side of an APC Back-UPS ES 550.  This battery backup is rated at 55 VA and 330 Watts.  That is way more than enough to run just a computer and monitor.  But, there have now been several times that the computer has just turned completely off without warning and simultaneously the alarm on the battery backup comes on.  The log says there have been several times that the battery power has initiated over last few months.   Some of those times, the computer seems to have stayed on correctly, then the Back-UPS switched back over to normal electricity.  So, it seems to be working right sometimes and sometimes failing. 

So, I'm wondering if the miliseconds between power issue and the battery kicking in is sometimes too long and the computer turns off.  But, I can't find documentation anywhere showing how long of a hesitation will turn off the computer.  Plus, I'm waiting on APS to return a message as to what the exact delay time is.  It's a fairly new Back-UPS. 

Does anyone know the time for this computer or have any other suggestions?

Regents Professor
TheOldMan
Message 2 of 2 (672 Views)

Re: Computer turns off even with Battery Back-UPS

Normally the UPS will not alarm and cause the computer to shut down at the same time.  If those events are simultaneous, then there is something causing a fault that is severe enough to shut down both.  With normal electrical disturbances, the UPS will switch over to battery backup without any delay and the PC will not be effected.  If the monitoring software from APC is installed and the communications between the UPS and PC is working, then it will alert the user something happened.  The user will not see any performance issue with the PC.  For the PC to shut down because of the UPS, either the UPS is having a problem, the power outage has been extended beyond the "safe" limit of the battery to keep the PC running, or a fault has occurred on the load side of the UPS.

If the UPS is working within design standards, there are no "miliseconds between power issue and the battery kicking in".  The UPS supples power all the time and the battery maintains that power if the electrical system falls below the limits set inside the unit.  The ouput power never fails to zero unless there is a fault on the load (computer or monitor fault can cause this) or the battery voltage has fallen below the shutdown limit.

{---------- Please click the "Thumbs Up" to say thanks for helping.
Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I do not work for HP.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation