Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

The controllers that are listed in your post are used for hard drives and CD/DVD drives, typically and are not he ones under consideration for the solution.  Most card readers are listed in "Device Manager"

On WinXP - under Disk drives

On Vista - I do not know

On Windows 7 - under Disk Drives

However, the place to disable the boot devices will be in the BIOS for your particular PC.  Pick only the hard drive for first device, then CD/DVD drive for second, with no others listed after that.  No USB for sure.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended
I see this is an old post, but I have the same problem with the SD/mini slot in my HP a6600f. Sometimes it works, some times it does not. The SD cards are the same. I can take the same SD card and go downstairs to my other computer and it will work fine.
HP Recommended

i had to change my hard drive out of my hp model 2000 the reason why was a smart hard drive error i looked it up and found out the hard drive was crashing so i found my old hp labtop that i had from 3 years ago the mother board crashed the hard drive was fine switched them out and the wireless card everything is working fine except my sd drive is not working i need this to work i run a bussiness please give me some advice to fix this please i need this to work i carry all my info from my jobs i do on sd cards. do i need a drive installer or a plug-in please let me know asap 

HP Recommended

I do not see a Windows version indicated but the card readers are USB driven, so unless it is a peculair reader, I would check the connections to the motherboard for the USB bus connections or buy a new USB driven external card reader

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

I do not know if you are addressing me or the othe poster, but my OS is Vista with the problem slot and Win7 downstairs where it does work.  Neither are USB, but may be USB driven as I do not know that much about them. The computer is a HP with four slots for various cards to insert into the face of the desktop.

HP Recommended

FIRSTLY, YOU DO KNOW THAT IN ORDER FOR YOUR COMPUTER TO READ THE SD CARD THAT THE CAMERA HAS TO BE TURNED ON TO THE RIGHT SETTINGS RIGHT?:smileysurprised:

IF THAT HAS BEEN DONE, THEN EVEN AFTER THE CURSOR DOES IT THING, TO TO MY COMPUTER AND CLICK EXPLORE

THEN LOOK TO SEE IF AN EXTRA DRIVE LETTER HAS BEEN ADDED AT THE BOTTOM OR IF YOU SEE YOUR CARD IN THERE AND LET ME KNOW.. IF YOU SEE IT, NO PROBLEM.. AND YOU SHOULD SEE IT..

LET ME KNOW

VIC.

RIGHT BACK AT YA.

HP Recommended

FIRSTLY, YOU DO KNOW THAT IN ORDER FOR YOUR COMPUTER TO READ THE SD CARD THAT THE CAMERA HAS TO BE TURNED ON TO THE RIGHT SETTINGS RIGHT?:smileysurprised:

IF THAT HAS BEEN DONE, THEN EVEN AFTER THE CURSOR DOES IT THING, TO TO MY COMPUTER AND CLICK EXPLORE

THEN LOOK TO SEE IF AN EXTRA DRIVE LETTER HAS BEEN ADDED AT THE BOTTOM OR IF YOU SEE YOUR CARD IN THERE AND LET ME KNOW.. IF YOU SEE IT, NO PROBLEM.. AND YOU SHOULD SEE IT..

LET ME KNOW

VIC.

RIGHT BACK AT YA.

HP Recommended

The SD card is NOT in the camera. It is removed and put into the SD slot in front of the HD computer.  It will NOT always read the card.

HP Recommended

I'M AFRAID YOUR RUNNING INTO THE SAME PROBLEM I HAD WITH MY CAMERA... SO, I WENT ONTO EBAY AND BOUGHT THE RIGHT CORD HOOK UP FROM THE CAMERA TO THE COMPUTER AND THROUGH THE USB MINE NOW WORKS PERFECTLY...

YOU CAN DO THE SAME.. BUT YOU'LL HAVE TO LEAVE THE CARD IN THE CAMERA AND TURN IT ON.. READ THE INSTRUCTIONS.. THE CORD ONLY COST ME LIKE 3.25 WHICH INCLUDED SHIPPING.. YOU CAN'T BEAT THAT..

MY CARD READERS ALSO WENT ON THE FRITZ AND I JUST SAID I'M DONE WITH THEM.. BUT, IT'S YOUR CHOICE..

HP Recommended
Thanks to everyone who wanted to help, the ironic thing is that after getting a HP laptop...the SD cards I read were read just fine.

Why is it that older HP desktops can't read newer cards? It's no longer a problem for me, but I actually know some who the same problem happens to them.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.