Question

Honor Student
Calim
Message 1 of 4 (337 Views)

Could not operate Intel 530 Series 240 GB SSD on AHCI mode in BIOS on Compaq desktop SR5890D

The SSD could only operate on IDE mode. I checked the forms and tried the regedit solution but still no luck.  The BIOS simply does not have this option for me to enable AHCI mode.  As such, I can't even update the firmware for the SSD using the toolbox given by Intel.

And I received contradictory and confusing message when reading through the SR5890D use manual.  The section About SARA Hard Drives and Controller Modes seems to suggest it is possible.  I would be grateful for any help please. Thnaks!

Grad Student
AdiG
Message 2 of 4 (307 Views)

Re: Could not operate Intel 530 Series 240 GB SSD on AHCI mode in BIOS on Compaq desktop SR5890D

Hi Calim, Your motherboard MCP73M01H1 Doesn't seems to have an AHCI support.

You can run your SSD on IDE mode without any problems, just make sure that trim is working by opening the CMD window as Administrator (Right click and open as administrator) then type in: fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify, if the input is 0 then trim is working, if it is 1, turn trim on by typing: fsutil behavior set disabledeletenotify 0.

Also do you have the latest intel ssd tool box 3.2.0?

What's is your drive firmware version?

Thanks, Adi.

I'm an HP Employee
-Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem
-Please click the Kudos Thumbs up if you would like to say thanks
Honor Student
Calim
Message 3 of 4 (302 Views)

Re: Could not operate Intel 530 Series 240 GB SSD on AHCI mode in BIOS on Compaq desktop SR5890D

Thanks Adi for the response

I will try your method get a confirmation that TRIM is working fine.  That said, I still find the HP Compaq product documentation confusing.  This is the weblink to the section about SATA controller:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02961221&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&cc=sg&dlc=en...

which seems to suggest that AHCI is supported unless they are telling that the desktop model SR5890D has different motherboard.  Further it devotes a section talking about BIOS version of 6 and below and 6 and above but my BIOS version is 5.27 and I have been informed repeatedly this is the most updated version.  So why talk about Version 6 when 5.27 is the latest?

The Intel SSD Toolbox that I am using is version 3.2.0. However, I could not update the firmware via the toolbox. since my SSD is operating on IDE mode.  I tried the firmware update tool but it didn't work either.  I got a message saying that the firmware (DC12) is the latest firmware.  However, Intel website clearly indicated that the most updated firmware is supposed to be DC32. I have also contacted the Intel Support Desk and I was advised that I should use a SATA to USB cable to attach the SSD to the USB port and update the firmware.   I am not sure if this is an efficient solution...

Do you have any further advice?

Thanks very much in advance!

Grad Student
AdiG
Message 4 of 4 (289 Views)

Hi Calim, Maybe there is more than one version of this motherboard, Have you check that your bios dosen't have AHCI mode? also if you have Raid mode it can turn on the AHCI feature, About the firmware upgrade, do you have any issue with the SSD? because from my experience firmware upgrade for ssd's are prittey risky and if it fail the ssd will broke up,
The way to upgrade firmware or secure erase(format) SSD is to connect it as slave drive when the OS installed on another hard drive.
I'm an HP Employee
-Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem
-Please click the Kudos Thumbs up if you would like to say thanks
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation