Question

Tutor
InStitches49
Message 1 of 5 (2,731 Views)

Do I need a wireless card in a new desktop computer?

I have a computer now that doesn't have a wireless card & hook up the AT&T modem through the ethernet.  Then I get the computer and modem hooked up to the Linksys router I have.  Will there be any advantage to having a wireless card in a new desktop?  (Have an HP laptop and it of course has wireless card in it.)  Thanks!

Provost
banhien
Message 2 of 5 (2,725 Views)

Re: Do I need a wireless card in a new desktop computer?

Hi,

From my view, having wireless for laptop does make sense but having wireless for desktop does not make any sense UNLESS the machine and the wireless router are not close together. The wired network is always secure and better than a wireless network.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Tutor
InStitches49
Message 3 of 5 (2,714 Views)

Thank you so much for your prompt reply.  I was leaning towards the answer that I didn't have to have a wireless card in my new desktop but wasn't sure since now it is an option to buy one when it wasn't several years ago with the desktop I'm replacing.  (Yes, it's that old.)  I am considering a HP model that has an i3 Intel processor but am debating about whether to order online or get it locally (with two less upgrades on RAM and graphics) at the Sam's Club.  Decisions aren't easy when one has to keep a computer for several years....

Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Message 4 of 5 (2,711 Views)

[ Edited ]

InStitches49 wrote: Thank you so much for your prompt reply.  I was leaning towards the answer that I didn't have to have a wireless card in my new desktop but wasn't sure since now it is an option to buy one when it wasn't several years ago with the desktop I'm replacing.  (Yes, it's that old.)  I am considering a HP model that has an i3 Intel processor but am debating about whether to order online or get it locally (with two less upgrades on RAM and graphics) at the Sam's Club.  Decisions aren't easy when one has to keep a computer for several years....

Hello InStiches49, SamsClub appears to be a good place to purchase a HP Desktop. They have several Models to choose from. The only issue I see with SamsClub, is that you have to select a model that SamsClub has for sale, while purchasing for the HP Online Store, you can usually configure the Desktop the way you would like it.

There may be some coupons available for the HP Online Store.

Here  is a link to the HP Online Store where you can view some different models and get an idea of what is available, so if you decide to go to SamsClub, you might have a better idea of what system you would want.

Just some thoughts.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

Tutor
InStitches49
Message 5 of 5 (2,685 Views)

Thank you for your note...been busy with the holidays so didn't read it until today.  I have gone on this HP website and configured a Pavillion p7xt as I want it.  With the current special pricing and a coupon I was able to get what I wanted for a price that was affordable.  Since our desktops always last several years longer than some people's desktops do, I wanted a few little added items that buying one elsewhere wouldn't get me.  I figure at my age I might as well indulge myself a wee bit :womanwink:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation