Honor Student
AuroraMoon89022
Message 1 of 7 (455 Views)
Accepted Solution

Downloading Error

Hp Pavilion Slimline Series

Product No.QP779AA#ABA

Model No.s5-1114

While online and trying to download games or files off the internet, it wont let me.

It always says "This program contained a virus and was deleted."

I dont know why i have tried searching for viruses and cleaned my computer of any viruses that I had.

I cant seem to find why it is doing this.

The only changes is that I can figure is that we moved, or maybe one of my friends downloaded something they shouldnt have.

Associate Dean
wb2001
Message 2 of 7 (434 Views)

Re: Downloading Error

It always says "This program contained a virus and was deleted."

It's a warning from your Anti-virus program that the intended download contained a virus. Your comment and discription is extremely vague.  Have you googled the download name? Is there any reference to known issues?

To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved.
You can render both Solution and KUDO

The Law of Effect states that positive reinforcement increases the probability of a behavior being repeated. (B.F.Skinner). You toss me points, and I perform better.

(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
HP m9200t CTO,Win7 Pro 32 bit. 4GB RAM, ASUS 550Ti 2GB, Rosewill 630W. 1T HD SATA 3Gb/s
Custom Asus P8P67, I7-2600k, 16GB RAM, WIN7 Pro 64bit, EVGA GTX660 2GB, 750W Corsair, 1T HD SATA 6Gb/s
Custom Asus P8Z77, I7-3770k, 16GB RAM, WIN7 Pro 64bit, EVGA GTX670 2GB, 750W Corsair, 1T HD SATA 6Gb/s
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 Plus
Honor Student
AuroraMoon89022
Message 3 of 7 (397 Views)

I had Kaspersky anti-virus, and uninstalled it because my subscription timed out.

I am getting a new one when I have the funds for it.

I have Malwarebytes Anti-malware on my computer at the moment.

Even on the trusted sites that I download my games from have been saying "This program contained a virus and was deleted."

For years I have not had this problem until now.

All the information I gave was the best to my knowledge.

HP Support Agent
TwoPointOh
Message 4 of 7 (344 Views)

Hi AuroraMoon89022. I have never heard of such an issue. Are you downloading from safe reputable sources? Are you using some sort of download utility, or just through a web browser? The warning that pops up, does it specify the file name? The pop up, does it indicate what is detecting the supposed virus (ie.  Is coming from your antivirus, or Windows, or your downloader)?

If it is IE, take a look through this to see if it applies to your situation.
Every download ends with message "File XXX contained a virus and was deleted".
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie10-windows_7/every-download-ends-with-message-file-xxx...

If you aren't actually getting viruses, you need to see if a valid download reports the same thing. Try going to Microsoft.com to their downloads section and seeing if you get the same error. I suspect your Antivirus program is not behaving properly (perhaps it is corrupt), which is also a symptom of a virus/malware. Let me know the results.

TwoPointOh
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping!
Honor Student
AuroraMoon89022
Message 5 of 7 (326 Views)

Yes I am downloading from a safe source. I had a download utility, (my friend downloaded it, probably not from a safe site, I told him not to download anything) I uninstalled it right away. I used to download from a web browser. It does not specify the file name. No it doesn't specify the virus, or where it is coming from, there is just the screen that shows my downloads and says it had a virus.

I have gone to Microsoft.com and any downloads from this site says the same thing too.

Should I uninstall my "Malwarebytes Anti-Malware" program? And then reinstall it?

HP Support Agent
TwoPointOh
Message 6 of 7 (300 Views)

Hi AuroraMoon89022. If reinstalling your security software is able to resolve this issue I would be surprised. If you have corrupted anti-virus/malware software, a reinstall might fix it. If your system is infected already you would have to refer to those security companies for removal instructions. In my experience it is probably a better idea to restore your computer to factory defaults after backing up anything you want to keep.

Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 7):
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01867418&tmp_task=useCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=e...

TwoPointOh
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping!
Student
HCSC103
Message 7 of 7 (189 Views)

I am trying to download a CM1415 printer.

I get through all the steps until the final one.... it gets to downloaded 99% and quits.

First time is said it took too long to download.

The second time same thing.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation