Question

Top Student
tkexer
Message 1 of 16 (13,574 Views)

Driver download exceedingly slow and painful

I'm trying to download drivers from the HP website for my old Compaq D510 Ultra slim Desktop. When I click on the download link, I have to wait an eternity before it says that the server connection has timed out. I tried:

1. Using several other computers with different operating systems and web browsers

2. Using a proxy server and Hide IP software to change my IP country: from US to UK to China.

3. Using FileZilla and manually connecting to HP's ftp server.

4. Going on a computer in an internet cafe.

All to no avil. I mean, geez, I'm just trying to download a driver, not hacking into a bank's mainframe. Must it be this hard?

BTW: I'm in Australia.

Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Message 2 of 16 (13,564 Views)

Re: Driver download exceedingly slow and painful

Hello tkexer, Sorry to hear you cannot download the drivers you require.

I checked the HP download site for your system, and the drivers downloaded immediately.

My ISP is in the US.

I suspect the issue may be with your ISP.

Hope this helps.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

Top Student
tkexer
Message 3 of 16 (13,557 Views)

OK, so that's it? No solution? Leave me hanging in the air? This is getting more and more annoying. Any alternate mirror/server?

Top Student
Musafir_86
Message 4 of 16 (13,435 Views)

-Hi there, I sometimes having the same problem as you, but after following the advice from this article: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?&objectID=c00658353 the download process becomes faster and smoother.

-To put it in simple word, just change the protocol in the download link from FTP to HTTP (ftp:// to http://); e.g. from ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/somefile.exe to http://ftp.hp.com/pub/somefile.exe. With HTTP protocol, the server even allows concurrent/multiple connections which make downloading even faster. (NOTE: you may need to put a Referer when downloading; the simplest should be http://www.hp.com/). :smileyhappy:

-Hope that helps.

Regards.

Honor Student
Azair
Message 5 of 16 (12,386 Views)

Oh I have a great solution to this problem!

HP...

CHANGE THE LINKS YOURSELF AND PROVIDE SOME BLOODY CUSTOMER SERVICE TO THE WORLD!

I won't be buying anymore of your crap again I can tell you that.

Student
HPisPooPoo
Message 6 of 16 (11,271 Views)

[ Edited ]

Yep it's HP, even now in 2012 a 400mb HP Printer Scanner driver is taking forver on an ADSL 2+ connection for me.

They've always been slow. If you're not in the UK or the US, then give up any hope of them giving a **bleep** about you as a customer from experience.

All the BS excuses when you can download fine from every other site on the web.

How about getting HP Australia to host your bloody files? and saying to a client needing help "I'm in the U.S and downloading fine" regardless of them clearly stating they are in another country and having stated they have used multiple sources clearly showing HP's servers are to blame???? {Flaming Removed}

Student
13lind
Message 7 of 16 (9,285 Views)

1:00PM on Tuesday, June 25th, 2013.  I'm getting a whopping 2.44KB/sec trying to download the latest Intelligent Provisioning software so I can rebuild a server.  It starts off ok and then around 100MB it just drops to dial up speeds.  I've tried it on 3 different computers in different geographic locations and same result.  Quite unfortunate.  Mark me down for +1 on the upping your FTP bandwidth.  Thanks.

Student
buddha88
Message 8 of 16 (6,335 Views)

Hi,

I'm located in czech republic having cable connection not the optics. Usual latency to US about 150 ms. Download respond in seconds. With HP servers it takes up to minutes to get reply from server. Intresting thing this rarly doesn't seems to be problem and download goes as usual, but this is only on ocasions. I've tried to download  outside of US business hours in deep US local night neverthless download speed puts me back in 90's and these are not fewbites packs. So its really pain in the back. I was very confident about HP due to Elitebook series I have great pleasure to use, but MSI do the same trick for me and I don't have to bother with this. thanks

Honor Student
Tburd
Message 9 of 16 (6,155 Views)

Tried to download all drivers for my HP Photomart C6280 (deleted the old ones because of a problem), and the download is stupid slow. I have high speed internet, and don't have these issues anywhere else.  Last time the estimate was 90 minutes, so I let it run, and it timed out after an hour or so. I can't believe I'm not reading more about other people having this problem. Windows 7 - IE 10

Student
useonlylaptop
Message 10 of 16 (6,063 Views)

i use a hp laptop

hp is not loved by china prc  download is SLOW SLOW SLOW

i am downloading sp47793.exe  hp webcam 3.5 mB in 30min when finished?. size of file not shown on download.

expect  download to be finshed  Jan 31 china new year. year of horse.

www.bloomberg.com is completely blocked in china.

have fun

max

14 Jan 2014 (tu sl mxf)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation