Question

Student
A1118xUser
Message 1 of 2 (1,756 Views)

Ethernet Driver for Pavilion a1118x using Windows 7

Just upgraded a Pavilion a1118x desktop from XP to Windows 7.  After doing so the device manager states my ethernet driver is missing (also the audio, but 1 thing at a time).  You have an option for Windows to search the Internet for a new driver, but ironically, without a driver I cannot access the internet.  Thank you for the great solution option Microsoft.

So, I did a little research (on a different computer) and found all sorts of conflicting information and nothing related to Windows 7.  The specs for this computer found on the HP website state the ethernet controller is:

Ethernet 10/100 LAN supplier - Realtek® RTL8201CL LAN PHY Fast Ethernet LAN controller

Naturally, I went to the Realtek website and they state:

RTL8201, RTL8201BL, RTL8201CL, RTL8201CP, RTL8201N and RTL8211B(L) are all PHYceiver. That is a driverless hardware device. Software driver are relative to Network controller ( MAC ) which is integrated into chipset in such case mostly. Please contact your mother board maker or chipset manufacturer to obtain proper driver support.

According to the desktop specs, the motherboard is an Asus K8S-LA (Salmon) Socket 754.  I then went to the Asus site and of all the list of motherboard options to choose from, they don't list K8S-LA. 

I then went to the chipset manufacturer website, which is AMD, and did a driver search for Athlon 64 and as expected, came home empty handed.

So, as you can see it's been quite a frustrating process.  I find it interesting Windows states the driver is missing while Realtek states it's driverless.  Who's right?  Really don't care.  I just hope someone will read this and be able to provide a solution.

Any guidance is much appreciated.  Thank you.

Provost
old_geekster
Message 2 of 2 (1,751 Views)

Re: Ethernet Driver for Pavilion a1118x using Windows 7

User, welcome to the forum.

The reason that you can't find the motherboard on the ASUS website is because it is made specificallly for HP.  HP makes changes to meet their needs.  There is a driver for the LAN for XP.  Therefore, I believe that a driver is necessary.  However, I don't believe that you will be able to find one because the computer is too old for the manufacturer to develop one for Win7.

HP Split 13 x2
- 1.6 Ghz; 4 GB memory; SSD 128 GB; Win 8.0

HP Phoenix ENVY 810-135qe
- i7-4770K (liquid cooled); 8 GB memory; GT 640 (4 GB), SSD (Samsung EVO 840-500 GB); 600W PSU; Win 7 Ultimate

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say 'Thanks'**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!