Question

Top Student
gineokat
Message 1 of 11 (2,124 Views)

Expert Help- Start up/BIOS SET UP Problem - Compaq Presario PC

[ Edited ]

Help- Presario XP Media Center Edition -man in 2006 but just opened 15 Sept 2010.

Problem with start up.  In stead of staring up normally the 'OEM Compaq Screen?' comes up and displayed along the bottom is << EXC/boot        F1/setup      F10/System Recovery  >>

If nothing is pressed a black screen comes up saying "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in Selected Boot Device and press a key."  No boot media came with the computer.

IfI press ESC, I get a screen that has two choices.  If the top choice (HDS728080PLAT20) is pressed the computer continues start up and all is fine.

If I press F1, I get the BIOS screens. 

Under the /Main/ Screen in the BIOS was* the following:

1st Channel Device 0:      [HDS728080PLAT20]

1st Channel Device 1:      [None]

2nd Channell Cevice 0:    [HL-DT-ST-RW/DVDGCC-4]

2ndCh                             : [None

3rd Ch                                  "

4th Ch                                  "

Under the /Advanced/ Scree was* the following:

OnBoard Boot Rom                       [Disabled]

Under /Boot/ in the BIOS was* the following:

Boot time Diagnostic Screen    [disabled]

1st Boot Device                [floppy Grp]

2nd Boot Device               [CDRom Grp]

3rd Boot Device                [(Hard Drive Grp)]

4th Boot Device                [Network Grp]

Floppy Grp Boot Priority             [Not Enabled]

CDRom Grp Boot Priority          [SM-HI-DT-ST-RW DVD]

Har Drive Grp Boot "                   [Not Installed]

Network Grp "   "                          [Not Installed]

I went into the BIOS and was able to make a couple changes that I thought would help but something is missing, don't know what....how can I fix this?

In the /BOOT/ screen in the BIOS: (This is the way it is now;changes)

Boot time Diagnostic Screen    [Disabled]

1st Boot Device                   [floppy Grp]

2nd Boot                               [(CDRom Grp)]                         *CDRom  now disabled?

3rd       "                                  [Hard Drive Grp]                       * Hard Drive Enabled?

4th       "                                  [Network Boot Grp]

Floppy Grp Boot Priority        [Not Installed]

CD-Rom Grp                          [Not Installed]                           *Uninstalled?

Hard Drive Group "                [PM-HDS728080PLAT20]       *Installed?

Network Grp   "                       [Not installed]

I thought this would fix the problem of the Hard Drive Boot not being read at start up.  Couldn't change the Hard Drive Group Boot Priority.  Is that the problem or is it something else?

Tim

Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Message 2 of 11 (2,113 Views)

Re: Expert Help- Start up/BIOS setup problem Compaq Presario PC

Hello gineokat, It appears the boot priority is not set properly. Since you mentioned that when you select the hard drive when asked, the system boots properly.

I would enter the BIOS and set the BIOS to the Default settings. This normally will correct this issue.

If you are not faliliar with BIOS settings, you can cause more issues than you can imagine.

If the Default settings to not correct the issue, enter the BIOS section Boot Priority, and select the first boot device as the Optical (CD\DVD) drive and the second boot device as the hard drive. Save these settings and reboot. This should correct the issue if all else is working as it should.

Hope this helps.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

Teacher
N-Dub
Message 3 of 11 (2,107 Views)

Re: Expert Help- Start up/BIOS SET UP Problem - Compaq Presario PC

Your boot priority is actually a good one. In cases of HDD failures, having the system look for a bootable floppy disc (in the old days) or a optical disc (in the nowdays) is a smart move.  

If you can get back into BIOS, try resetting the defaults, then reboot. If it finally loads into Windows, I would search on hp.com for your system's latest BIOS updates. 

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking the answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on “Kudos” STAR to say thanks!***
Top Student
gineokat
Message 4 of 11 (2,102 Views)

I wouldn't neccessarily think it is 'booting properly' since I have to manually ask it to boot with the hard drive.  I think it could if all was set right.

I don't understand 'how the priority order is good the way it is now set.  Floppy is 1st and there is no floppy.  CDRom Optical is 2nd and there is no 'optical CDRom media in the Drive'.  It appears to me that the Hard drive has the capability of starting it properly but it is not 1st Priority and I can't seem to change the boot priority order.

If I set all to default, won't all go back to the order it was when I first turned on the computer?

g

Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Message 5 of 11 (2,098 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello gineokat, Your system may not have been setup properly when you first booted it.

One other possibility that I just realized, is that you mentioned the system was built in 2006 but only put into service very recently. It is very possible that the onboard CMOS battery has been drained to either very low or no power left in it.

With no A/C power going to the system for several years the CMOS battery would have a continous drain on it since it was built. I would replace this battery. They are less than $3.00 USD and can be found in many locations and easy to replace.

They are referred to as a coin cell battery, located on the motherboard and just snap into the socket. This very well could be your problem. If this battery is weak or dead, none of your settings would be saved in the BIOS, and this may be the reason it did not work right out of the box.

Booting as you described is not the default setting. Since this system probably has an option for a floppy drive, and they are almost never used anymore, the BIOS would have this option and set as the first boot device. Since you don't have one, it is not necessary to have the BIOS search for one. This will take about an additional one second of boot time.

Since you have no Floppy, the BIOS will search for one, and not finding it, go on to the second boot device, which should be the CD\DVD, and if there is no bootable disk in the drive will continue on to the hard drive that has a bootable operating system, and boot to the desktop.

Can you advise the exact model number of your system, and I can locate the onboard coin cell battery and perhaps provide a link for the motherboard.

Hope this helps

Top Student
gineokat
Message 6 of 11 (2,085 Views)

posted by Hanspuppa:

Since you have no Floppy, the BIOS will search for one, and not finding it, go on to the second boot device, which should be the CD\DVD, and if there is no bootable disk in the drive will continue on to the hard drive that has a bootable operating system, and boot to the desktop.

Hanspuppa-this is exactly what I'm seeing it as.  I would think it's go past the floppy to the CDRom and then the Hard Drive to boot up.  For some reason it isn't or something isn't allowing it to get to the 3rd priority (hard drive) to boot on its own.  I was thinking there might be something set wrong that is inhibiting that action.

I know it will boot from the Hard Drive because if I hit ESC/boot in the red and white Compaq Screen I get the screen that askes me to highlight either the Hard drive or the Rom drive.  If I highlight the Hard Drive (PM-HDS728080P

lat20) and hit enter it boots fine.  Originally the 3rd Boot device (the hard drive) had parenthesis around it which meant not installed or something like that.  I corrected that and put the parenthesis around the 2nd boot device (CDRom).  That didn't fix it.

any other ideas?

g

Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Message 7 of 11 (2,081 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello gineokat, Again, I suspect that the CMOS battery has died. If this is the case, the system will act erratically, and will not save any settings you try to make in the BIOS. I have had these CMOS batteries die in far less time than your system is old.

Before I would try anything further, I would replace this battery. Even if it is not totally dead, it will be soon.

Sorry that you are not familiar enough with how a computer BIOS works, but believe me, if you don't have a strong CMOS battery, you are just batting your hear against a brick wall. You will never get this system to work properly.

You already know the system works by manually choosing the hard drive. The BIOS is designed to do this if it has the voltage to operate. It seems it does not.

Hope this helps.

Top Student
gineokat
Message 8 of 11 (2,065 Views)

posted by Hanspuppa-

Hello gineokat, Again, I suspect that the CMOS battery has died. If this is the case, the system will act erratically, and will not save any settings you try to make in the BIOS. I have had these CMOS batteries die in far less time than your system is old.

Before I would try anything further, I would replace this battery. Even if it is not totally dead, it will be soon.

Sorry that you are not familiar enough with how a computer BIOS works, but believe me, if you don't have a strong CMOS battery, you are just batting your hear against a brick wall. You will never get this system to work properly.

You already know the system works by manually choosing the hard drive. The BIOS is designed to do this if it has the voltage to operate. It seems it does not.

Hope this helps.

Thanks -

The BIOS did save the few changes I made (highlighted in blue in the first post of this thread) but like you say, the battery may be dying and sitting on borderline failure.

Did you notice any changes I made or know of  any changes that I should make that I didn't,  that would tell the BIOS or inhibit the BIOS from continuing on to the Hard Drive for a regular start up?

How would I find the CMOS battery to change it out and what type of battery it is?.  Is there a way to find out the type of battery it is or do I have to go into the co visualize it? 

Other than being a little sometimes on simple page changes, about the only erratic behavior I see is that the screen goes black for a second or two at least one time after I've got a good screen up after login.  Could this also be from a weak battery?

Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Message 9 of 11 (2,063 Views)

Hello gineokat, Can you advise the model of your system. With the model number, we can locate the CMOS battery.

It most likely is a 3 volt coin cell, but I have seen different sizes of these, so we really need to know the model number to be sure.

You can also disconnect the power cord, and remove the side panel,and locate the CMOS battery, usually on the lower right portion of the motherboard,. But they can be located in other places also.

It should look about the size of an american quarter and be flat, with the name and voltage stamped on the face of the battery.

Hope this helps.

Top Student
gineokat
Message 10 of 11 (2,061 Views)

Compaq Presario SR2011 WM-B is what I have.

Bought it for my daughter when she was entering college about 4 years ago.  Then she wanted a laptop instead.  Ended up keeping it and opened it up a couple weeks ago when my Compaq Presario 6320US finally died after about 8 years.  Think I'll probably get an HP laptop sometime soon.  They've been pretty good to me.

You've been very helpful Hans- Thanks

g

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation