Question

Top Student
milellie111
Message 1 of 19 (5,511 Views)

Graphics Card and Low Power Supply 350 Watt

I am about to buy a Pavilion Elite e9250t desktop with Intel Core i5 processor. It is going to have the 512mb ATI Radeon HD 4850 graphics card which requires a 450 watt power supply. I saw the specs on the machine and it comes with a 350 watt power supply. I just talked to a sales rep at HP and he said that maybe i should step up to the e9280t which comes with the 460 watt power supply. I told him no, i don't want to pay that much. Plus, why are you allowed to configure performance level graphics cards which require higher power supplies than which HP gives you? Will i run into problems if i get the 350 watt power supply with the graphics card?

Thanks for your help

Intern
Onesnark
Message 2 of 19 (5,508 Views)

Re: Graphics Card and Low Power Supply 350 Watt

[ Edited ]

That system should last at least the length of the warrenty.

I just spent a considerable amount of time on the phone with HP sales and HP tech support trying to understand how 3x2gb chips in the 6gb configuration can work in dual channel mode. The answers I was getting was. . . shall we say. . .unsettling. Several statements made contradicted the spec sheets published on the website and the information provided on the "purchase" pages.

I am reaching the conclusion (I don't think Dell is any different) that one should either;

a) Buy a cheap, disposable,machine or

b) Research the heck out of the system. . .and if something smells fishy; don't buy it.

The 9280's have a few dodgy memory configurations -> so be careful with those units. I think for any serious gamer, a 350W power supply is marginal I believe what you say about the 4850 requiring more power. I too am rethinking the e9250/e9270 because of the memory and the power supply. I am going to avoid the 6gb option on the 9250/9270 and get either the 4gb or 8gb version.

The trick is not "average" power, the issue is "peak" power; just like on stereos. A 350W supply will be pushed harder, on average, and will ultimately fail sooner. A better power supply will run on the lower end of its range, and will hit peak output less often. And will therefore last longer.

I am wondering if I should buy a e9280 8gb, and remove the extra 2gb chip to ensure the machine runs ok.

Message Edited by Onesnark on 12-01-2009 11:32 AM
Intern
Onesnark
Message 3 of 19 (5,482 Views)

After reading MANY articles, and emailing tech support regarding RAM, I now believe more firmly than ever in Caveat Empor (let the buyer beware!)

You definately don't want to buy oddball RAM combinations from HP (or anyone else), even if they are offered. The 6gb option (3 chips) offered on the e9250t and e9270t is a case in point. If you do, it will work, but probably not as well as it *should*.

I think the same applies to the power supply.

Having resolved my RAM questions on the high end HP machines, I am turning my attention to the Power Supply. I do not consider 350w enough power for a high end computer with a 1gb video card. I will post what I find from Tech Support.

Top Student
jrockis
Message 4 of 19 (5,436 Views)

as far as the RAM is concerned, i contemplated just pulling one stick out as 4 GB is more than enough (hp doesn't offer a 4GB option).  the power supply is my real concern wih the e9270t.  from what i've read on these boards, however, the power supply can be switched out for one with higher voltage. but who really wants do go through that?   hp really needs to offer a choice of PSU's along with all of the other components.  i know these rigs aren't made for upgradability, but i find it really strange that you can configure a 4850 and be forced to use a 350 watt PSU.  maybe they're in the PSU replacement business.
Top Student
jrockis
Message 5 of 19 (5,428 Views)

also, i keep seing that a third party ATX PSU should fit into the present day hp towers, but have yet to see a confirmation of that (see http://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/board/message?board.id=HardwareDPC&thread.id=3319 ).  it would be nice to know if that truly is the case.  i have also seen several times that hp dissuades people from upgrading abpve 450 watts, and am not sure the reasoning behind that.  by the way dell's i5 configurations also use a 350 watt PSU, so unless you go to falcon northwest or somewhere, it seems as if you're stuck with the 350.  it would be nice if hp offered the 460 watt for the e9270t like they do for the e9280t.
Intern
Onesnark
Message 6 of 19 (5,420 Views)

I got the same thing. . . "You can upgrade, but don't go above 450w".

Sounds bizzare to me. I view 450w is more of a *minimum* requirement, rather than a *maximum* requirement. I have not pushed the topic further because. . .well. . . umm. . . .the lack of eSata ports and the goofy memory configurations are making me look at Dell machines. They offer the same weak power supplies  -> but they are better on the other points.

Top Student
jrockis
Message 7 of 19 (5,396 Views)

it looks like today they are offering a 1.8 GB gtx 260 with these models, and it states that the PSU will automatically be upgraded if you choose this card.  the minimum requirements for the card seem to be 550 watts.  so how will they pull this off if tech support is right in saying 'no more than 450'?  i'm awaiting an email response and will post.
Intern
Onesnark
Message 8 of 19 (5,380 Views)

I just checked out both the E9250t and E9270t systems.

The technical spec sheets have been updated to include the graphic card option, but do not reflect alternate power supplies. Where did you find that information?

Top Student
jrockis
Message 9 of 19 (5,379 Views)

go to the video card configuration page and click on 'help me decide'.  it states that the system will be upgraded with a higher wattage PSU, but doesn't state how much.  i'm guessing it will be the 460 watt.  still waiting on an answer from tech support.

Honor Student
Ayyann
Message 10 of 19 (5,138 Views)

Guys,

I have e9200Z with 350W PSU and i am wanting to upgrade to 4850 Graphic card which requires 450W. I went into help me decide section and they have listed this graphic card for the same model but it doesn't say that PSU would be upgraded.

Anyhow, i bought this PC like almost couple mo's ago so what can be done now other than replacing PSU? Wonder how HP would have installed that card with this PSU reqt.

Does anyone know if HP gets those graphic cards customized build for them with low Wattage reqs or something?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation