HP 6200 pro wont install windows xp tried installing the latest drivers etc F6 to load driver (4273 Views)
Honor Student
kb9kst
Message 11 of 15 (754 Views)

Re: HP 6200 pro wont install windows xp tried installing the latest drivers etc F6 to load driver

I got it to work.  For those who may look at this.  Do not try it on the first controller listed.  Do it on the 2nd one.  That is what worked for me.

Jason

Honor Student
MichaelK99
Message 12 of 15 (748 Views)

Re: HP 6200 pro wont install windows xp tried installing the latest drivers etc F6 to load driver

good - it is SO much faster in AHCI mode ... I struggled lots with the 6200pro SFF - finally got it  -- it DOES have something to do with choosing "4 port" vs "2 port" options - step #6 in the above excellent guidance - he says "one of the drivers"... but it does seem to make a difference which one you choose

also - I was messing up step #15 - you may have to scroll down to find "Intel desktop..." item ...

I failed to get a 4000 pro box into AHCI under winxp sp3 ... everything looked the same as the 6200  but no combination / route worked... I gave up and stayed in IDE mode...

or... we could  move along to Win 7 ... that is in general VERY much faster than WInXP... I'm almost there!

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 13 of 15 (738 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi, Michael:

I think you can get the 4000 to work. it has a different chipset.

They look the same as a 6200 but they aren't, guts-wise.  Less expensive (value) components.

What are the drive controllers named? 

You won't be using the  Intel(R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller for that box.

I just can't remember which one it is.

Lemme know, and I will throw out some ACHI drivers for you to try if you are interested.

I do think that you use this one though...Intel(R) ICH10D/DO SATA AHCI Controller, and select the 4 port controller to update if there is one.

Remember that the chipset driver must be installed first.

Paul

Honor Student
MichaelK99
Message 14 of 15 (708 Views)

Thanks very much for these suggestions - the HP 4000 in question is now out in the field - XP SP3 in IDE mode - so I won't  get to try again - I was going through the 6200 steps (chipset driver first) - but I was trying to install the driver you say won't work... and it didn't! ...

... when I get that 4000 box back, I suspect I will install WIn 7 ... I'm just about finished with XP (it has been a nice run!)

but, just now, I have a new 6200 box - WinXP - moved onto the AHCI mode - following your original guidance - selected "4 port" device in step 6

MK

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 15 of 15 (705 Views)

Hi, Michael:

I have edited step 6 of my earlier step by step guidance to specifically select the 4 Port SATA controller.

That will eliminate any failed attempts to load the driver by selecting the other controllers listed.

Thanks,

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation