Question

Tutor
fmed
Message 1 of 6 (2,658 Views)

I have a HP Pavilion a820n with windows XP. Every time I boot up  updates from " HP Agent "  starts running. What is it, where do I find it, and how do I stop it from running every time I boot up?

Master's Graduate
Comptronic
Message 2 of 6 (2,656 Views)

Re: HP Agent

Check to see if it's part of the boot process.  Go to Start-Run-type in msconfig-select the Startup tab-and uncheck the box next to HP Agent.

Tutor
fmed
Message 3 of 6 (2,640 Views)

hello

when I tried to uncheck the box per your instructions i got a message in a window labeled:

system configuration

an access denied error was returned while attempting to change a service. You may need to logon using an administrator account to make specified changes.

I am the only person using this computer. What is  an administrator account?

Master's Graduate
Comptronic
Message 4 of 6 (2,633 Views)

[ Edited ]

Although you may be the only one using that computer, you might have set your account differently.  An Administrator of an account has priviliges for everything on a computer.  You can easily set your account to be the Administrator.  If you need help to change the account settings, let me know and I'll help you as best as I can.

Tutor
fmed
Message 5 of 6 (2,584 Views)

Sorry for the delay in my response I live in the northeast and I was flooded due to the excessive rains.  Yes i would like help in not being an administrator I have no need for this. Then I can enter the msconfig and fix the problem.

Master's Graduate
Comptronic
Message 6 of 6 (2,574 Views)

I know how you feel.  I live in the Northeast as well and had flooding issues. 

What version of Windows are you using?

There are 2 options:

1. Go to Start, Control Panel, User Accounts, and click on the account you are currently using.  Does it say that you are an Administrator?  If so, try my next option.
  2. Go to Start, Control Panel, User Accounts, and click on Create a new account.  Set up a new account as an Adminstrator. 

Let me know if this works.  If not, I will tell you more things to try.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation