Question

Student
rc1238
Message 1 of 2 (145 Views)

HP CD Writer 8200

I installed the HP CD Writer Software on my laptop (XP OS) and when I restart the computer, the HP Common File Folder pop up.

How do I disable or stop this.

Thanks!

Distinguished Professor
HardBeatZ
Message 2 of 2 (111 Views)

Re: HP CD Writer 8200

Hello rc1238,

What is in the common folder anything?

Check the startup folder and see if anything is calling for the folder to open

1. Click on start

2. Type msconfig

3. Navigate to the startup tab

4. Look for anything that is pointing to that directory and tell it not to launch on startup

5. Reboot your computer to save the changes and apply them

If that doesn't resolve the issue, or there is nothing in there that points to the common folder.

Can you navigate to the registry and tell me what is listed in the data fields under the following registry key 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\

DO NOT MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS TO YOUR REGISTRY. YOU ARE ONLY LOOKING DO NOT MAKE ANY CHANGES.

1. Click on start

2. Type regedit and click enter

3. Expand the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE section and look for SOFTWARE

4. Expand SOFTWARE and look for Microsoft

5. Expand Microsoft and look for Windows

6. Expand Windows and look for CurrentVersion

7. Expand CurrentVersion and look for Run

8. Select Run

9. On the right hand side is three sections and probably quite a few things listed here. The section I'm interested in is the data field.

I'm probably not interested in all of them, but I want to know what is here and if any of them point to this directory or something that exists within the directory.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have helped you in any way click the Kudos button to say Thanks.
The community works together, click Accept as Solution on the post that solves your issue for other members of the community to benefit from the solution.
- Friendship is magical.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation