Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Is there any chance that this PC can run VM on Windows 8 Enterprise Hyper-V?

I would like to have virtualisation on this PC so that I can install different OSes to test software development.

I know the CPU is virtualisation capable but when I try to install the Hyper-V feature, I get an error that the BIOS is not Hyper-V capable.

Is there a BIOS update for this PC to allow me to run Hyper-V? If there is, where can I download it from?

TIA

Product# LN071PC#ABG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Unfortunate, the BIOS does not have options to turn on virtualization technology.

You might consider, if you will accept the risk, at taking a look  at the BIOS modification websites.

Search to see if that has been the topic of discussion on the internet by doing an online search in Google or Bing with "HP Compaq 8000 Elite SFF Virtualization" as the keywords. 

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

What is the installed CPU?

Which HP Compaq Elite 8000 do you have?  There are seven different versions.

The product number (Product# LN071PC#ABG) that you provided does not match that of an HP Compaq 8000 Elite SFF. 

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

The numbers below the product# is 8000E8S/E7600/160HD/4W/27K AUST

The CPU is an Intel E7600

8GB DDR3 RAM

The 160GB HDD has been replaced with a Seagate 250GB

It used to have Windows 7 Pro installed on it

HP Recommended

Unfortunate, the BIOS does not have options to turn on virtualization technology.

You might consider, if you will accept the risk, at taking a look  at the BIOS modification websites.

Search to see if that has been the topic of discussion on the internet by doing an online search in Google or Bing with "HP Compaq 8000 Elite SFF Virtualization" as the keywords. 

HP Recommended

Thanks Erico for your replies

I am not too comfortable in finding a BIOS to enable virtualisation for this PC. Probably just go build one from the spare parts I have lying around.

Its a shame that HP won't write a new BIOS version to enable virtualisation on this PC. It has great specs for a cheap virtualisation host

HP Recommended

Another question,

Would Hyper-V Server 2012 R2 host VMs on this PC?

If Hyper-V Server can then I'd just manage the VMs from another Windows 8 PC and test that way. I hope it can 'cause I am downloading the server now

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.