Question

Intern
nohelpbb
Message 1 of 6 (1,073 Views)

HP Envy 700-056 More Problems

I have had ongoing issues with my new HP Envy 700-056.  I have already posted to the forum site regarding the constant problem with my monitor going black....some of the solutions have included getting a dedicated graphics card, to adjusting the "sleep" function etc.  I finally decided to add a NVIDIA graphics card.  The card is a GEFORCE GTX 630.  I was told this would work, went to install it only to find out that is requires at least 400 watts of power and this Envy only comes with 300 watts....so back to the store to buy a power upgrade.  Purchased a 700 watt power supply (which I was told was ok by HP) got it installed, installed the graphics card only to have it give me  an error message.  The error message stated that this graphics card was not compatible with this model desktop.  So, now I have a new power source, a monitor that constantly blacks out, a non-working graphics card......what next???????

Anyone with any explanation(s)?????  HP, why to low watts on a desktop?????  Aren't desktops meant to be upgradable????  Thought that was the whole point behind desktops??????:catmad:

HP Support Agent
Sparkles1
Message 2 of 6 (1,046 Views)

Re: HP Envy 700-056 More Problems

HI nohelpbb:

Thank you for your reply.

I regret that your  graphics card is not compatible.

I am sending you a link to the specifications for your system click here.

If you notice your system has 1 PCI Express x16 (Gen2.0).

A card matching these specifications should work. Most 2.0 cards are backwards compatible but not all.

Any cards that are above 2.0 are not backwards compatible.

The only way to know for certain if it works, is to try it and see.

I hope this helps.

Sparkles1
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!
Honor Student
JPousson
Message 3 of 6 (1,038 Views)

Hi, nohelp:

Check out this thread on Tom's Hardware.  i did a little research and found a Radeon graphics card that is supposed to work best with teh A-10 Richland processor and its embedded ATI Radeon HD 8670D Graphics.

I just ordered the new card, 16G of additional RAM and a 700w power supply.  They all just showed up at my doorstep.  I'll be installing today, and will let you know here how it goes!

~J

Honor Student
JPousson
Message 4 of 6 (1,036 Views)
Student
HP700-056
Message 5 of 6 (892 Views)

I just bought me a new HP 700-056.

Does this mean that I need to buy a graphics card get rid of  the issue of

a black screen ?

Why wasn't this problem detected and solved before the the computer went to

the market place ??

HP Support Agent
BHK6
Message 6 of 6 (838 Views)

Hi HP700-056,

You shouldn't have to buy an additional graphics card the original poster was trying to upgrade and that is what was causing their problem. Are you getting a black screen? If so, when does it happen? What operating system are you using?

Finding your OS:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows/which-operating-system

Thank you,

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Thank you,

BHK6

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation