Question

Top Student
timdav83
Message 1 of 9 (8,398 Views)

HP Media Smart - First Time Install - Prompted for Password - Default Password?

[ Edited ]

I just picked up one of these and am being prompted for a password during the initial install.  Password hint is "q" and Server Name appears to be QE11.  I Did not Set These.  The system was automatically set with these default values.

I inserted the disk and ran the installer.  About halfway through, it switched me to the connector which promted me for a password.  I didn't get any forms to change the password or set the server name.

I tried switching to XP after a few attempts on Vista.  But I'm still promted for a password to install the connector.

I cannot login to the control panel because I haven't been able to complete the install.

Is there a default password for these values? "q = password hint" and "QE11 = server name"

Here are a few screen shots of the install process...

I have tried passwords with both upercase and lowercase letters like: admin, setup, install, administrator with no luck.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Message Edited by timdav83 on 01-28-2009 04:05 PM
Distinguished Professor
RasterBlaster
Message 2 of 9 (8,390 Views)

Re: HP Media Smart - First Time Install - Prompted for Password - Default Password?

This a media vault product. Have you checked the support articles on your model number's sopprt page?

http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Nav?lang=en&h_lang=en&h_client=S-A-R163-1&h_page=hpcom&h_cc=us&h_page...

... an HP employee expressing his own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a Message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
Top Student
timdav83
Message 3 of 9 (8,389 Views)

Re: HP Media Smart - First Time Install - Prompted for Password - Default Password?

[ Edited ]

any section in particular?  I'm still getting prompted when I install the connector.  No forms to create password or name the server which according to the documentation, should display after it connects.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?product=3548165&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en〈=en&cc=us&jumpid=hpr_R...

After it "finds a server" it doesn't go through the initializing step.  It immediately prompts me for password.

Message Edited by timdav83 on 01-28-2009 05:34 PM
Top Student
timdav83
Message 4 of 9 (8,363 Views)

I decided to reset the server to factory defaults (even though I wasn't prompted to set/change anything) by using the server recovery disc and this seemed to have solved my problem.
Master's Graduate
frprinterwiz
Message 5 of 9 (8,338 Views)

It looks like you recieved a unit that had been used for a quality control test (the password was likely quality according to my friends in the know).  However the recovery was your best bet because likely they made a bunch of changes and such and it may or may not have impacted the way it worked.

The default password should have been blank and the server name "server".

I love mine, however I need to run the recovery and I'm not sure if my recovery disk is fubared or if there is something in my OS.  Going to do some more playing with it tomorrow night and then if I can't get it to work they are going to send me a replacement disk if I can't prove it's the server or I'll be boxing it up and sending it in (bummer).  My router hiccup'ed while I was remoted in and now the only way I can pull an IP is while it is in recovery mode.  However when I pop the recovery disk in, after I follow the prompts and delete the software and hit next, it comes up with the message that WHS has stopped responding!  Very frustrating.  Glad to hear you were successful as it gives me hope I won't have to box mine up.

insert signature here
Top Student
timdav83
Message 6 of 9 (8,330 Views)

[ Edited ]

Interesting, seems like you got stuck during the install process and the recovery wizard doesn't know what to do as it detects the presents of the server, but not enough files needed to run?  Or either the server or your computer is running out of memory?

Anyways, you could try this although I'm not sure if it voids any warrenties or not or whether or not it will work.

Unlock the primary drive and stick it in an an external enclosure and connect it to usb.  It's a SATA drive so you should buy a SATA enclosure.  Either right click on the drive icon (in my computer) if your computer recognizes it and select "format" or use the disk manager on any windows computer to format the drive.  Then put it back into slot and attempt the recovery again.  According to the recovery disc, it should be able to install the "Home Server" os along with the required web scripts to get you going again since it does mention to use it if you have replaced the hard drive that came with your server.

This should solve your problem.

Message Edited by timdav83 on 01-29-2009 12:23 PM
Message Edited by timdav83 on 01-29-2009 12:24 PM
Master's Graduate
frprinterwiz
Message 7 of 9 (8,302 Views)

That's precisely the next step I am going to take and I've already verified it doesn't void my warranty.  I just have to get down to the local pc shop and get the external SATA to USB enclosure this weekend.  I will however be spending some time backing up about 130GB (hmm 130/4 = a new package of DVD's LOL or an IDE enclosure and transfer to one of my old drives), then formatting and throwing it back in.

Then I'll give the software a go, at least this weekend I will have access to hubby's laptop with XP on it.  However if it's 3rd party software causing the issue I have no way to restore to factory condition since the backups are on the server LOL.  (ya, bad me, I didn't make my recovery disks for Vista because I had the server and then I went and repartioned my laptop to dual boot Ubuntu so now I can't make the disks!) 

As frustrating as all this is, the geek in me is loving the challenge!

insert signature here
Top Student
timdav83
Message 8 of 9 (8,252 Views)

[ Edited ]

I had this similiar problem, system was unable to boot and went through a recovery which failed.  Do to how quickly it failed, I'm under the impression that it's the same problem I had with installing Windows Vista 64 bit.

I swapped drives on my server and found that the new drive recovered successfully recovered.  So it wasn't the actuall server at fault.

With the Windows Vista 64 bit, I found out that the partition was messed up (Might be the same reason for the server issues).  A fix I took was to hook up the drive either externally or internally and use my windows xp home / pro cd to delete all partitions then re-create the partitions on the drive.  A further step to take is to reformat it.

What was interesting with swapping the old drive with a different drive is the fact I wasn't asked to initialize or update the server name / password.  The factory recovery settings also did not add the application to the programs menu.  So I couldn't connect or uninstall to go through that phase again.

Solved this by running WHSCONNECTOR (Windows Installer Package) not the install file directly.  This gave me an option to uninstall. After the uninstalling, you will obviously get a a failed install if you attempt to run the WHSCONNECTOR file again. Simply run the install file on the CD after removing the application.

Message Edited by timdav83 on 02-04-2009 01:48 AM
Student
teacherlady
Message 9 of 9 (7,091 Views)

You just might be the person to help me.  My harddrive crashed.  I was able to get a friend to save all my pictures and documents,  I want to put a new harddrive in and have ordered the recovery disks(since I too did not download them!).  A Geeks on Call guy told me that I would have to get all the updates since 2006 after I do the recovery.....how exactly do I go about doing that?  Note...I am a computer illiterate!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation