Question

Honor Student
grrmed
Message 1 of 6 (757 Views)

HP Pavilion Elite HPE-450t will not power on after being power off.

I have an HP Pavilion Elite HPE-450t.  When I shut it down, I turn off the master power switch which all of my computer equipment is plugged into.  When I turn on the master switch, everything will power on except my computer.  I have checked the BIOS power on settings and it is set to Power On.  I have tried using Auto and Power Off just to see what would happen, but as expected the unit will not auto power on.

I have used this method for over 20 years with several other Compaq and HP computers with no problems.

Is this a mother board problem?

Provost
CherylG
Message 2 of 6 (746 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion Elite HPE-450t will not power on after being power off.

None of the numerous HP machines I have owned ever powered on by themselves when power was restored to power strip. That action would really not be practical since many people merely plug them into a wall outlet that has power all the time ,which would require unplugging from wall to keep the machine from auto starting up at random.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Honor Student
grrmed
Message 3 of 6 (744 Views)

I have owned six, and only this newest one fails to power on when power is applied in this manner.  Using a master power simply mimics a power outage, and turning it on has the same effect on a PC with the BIOS power setting to Power On when power is restored.

Provost
CherylG
Message 4 of 6 (742 Views)

I suppose it would work if you simply turned off the power supply without doing a normal Windows shut down from the Start menu, but that would be bad on the machine especially the hdd.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Provost
Big_Dave
Message 5 of 6 (730 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion Elite HOPE-450t will not power on after being power off.

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I  have seen instances where Auto power on after a power outage was advantages to use If you consider a remote location where equipment is located and it's not really practical to send someone out to re-power the equipment. In this situation, this feature would be beneficial. Of course any cached data not written to disk would be lost.  Some amount of remote control would be needed in cases where in flight transactions where not completed and the programs didn't have auto recovery for in flight transactions that were not completed.  You certainly would want to use disable write caching on devices such as hard drives.  Back end caching on RAID controllers is another area for concern with consumer level RAID.  Large scale commerical RAID controllers typically have redundant caches that are battery backed to avoid the loss of data as a result of a sudden loss in power.  Some equipment is sensitive to not allowing the power to be sequenced off and consequently equipment failure may be a result.

Using the Auto power on feature for  normal PC use would not be something that I would recommend and since it's not a default it's not something that HP sees as beneficial for normal use.

The above situation might be a bios bug or corrupted bios. You might trying clearing the CMOS and then make sure that when you set Power On that the setting actually gets saved.  Be sure that the Recovery Jump on your motherboard is in the normal position.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Plextor M.2 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Honor Student
MikeDC
Message 6 of 6 (644 Views)

I am having the same problem.

The BIOS gives this option, so it is obviously an intended function.  The option is to POWER ON when AC power is supplied (for example, by turning on a surge suppressor to which the PC is connected).

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation