HP Pavilion NTLDR is missing??? (4540 Views)
Honor Student
crowe
Message 1 of 4 (4,540 Views)

HP Pavilion NTLDR is missing???

My computer crashed last week.  In the middle of reading an article on MSN, the computer automatically restarted itself.  At first it said to "install Windows CD now".  Which of course, we do not have because Windows was pre-installed on the computer, a Windows CD did not come with it.  So, we turned it off for a couple of days.  Then we thought....maybe the recovery disks, which we also do not have because that was pre-installed on the computer as well.  So, we turned the computer back on.  It looked like it was going to work, then it said "NTLDR is missing"  and restarted itself again.  The second time we were able to direct it to the recovery drive before it restarted.  We followed all of the recovery instructions, then it said "NTLDR is missing" and restarted itself again.  At this point that's about all it will do.  We have tried turning it off and going back to it after a few days but we just keep getting the same message.  So my question is.....What is NTLDR???  Where did it go??? And, how do I get it back???
Provost
old_geekster
Message 2 of 4 (4,531 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion NTLDR is missing???

Crowe, since you didn't mention the make/model of your computer, I am giving you some links that may help:

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000465.htm

http://tinyempire.com/notes/ntldrismissing.htm 

The NTLDR is the NT Loader.  If you read the info provided in the links, it will explain the situation better than I can.

You may also want to try Microsofts website for some help. 

Good luck! 

HP Split 13 x2
- 1.6 Ghz; 4 GB memory; SSD 128 GB; Win 8.0

HP Phoenix ENVY 810-135qe
- i7-4770K (liquid cooled); 8 GB memory; GT 640 (4 GB), SSD (Samsung EVO 840-500 GB); 600W PSU; Win 7 Ultimate

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say 'Thanks'**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Message 3 of 4 (4,523 Views)

I have an HP Pavilioin a706n with Windows XP.  I read a thread on another forum from Erico about performing a full recovery when NTLDR is missing.  It wasn't much help because it required the use of the Recovery CD's which I do not have, because it was pre-installed on my hard drive.  I tried the system recovery again last night.  I pressed F10 for system recovery.  The system recovery screen came up, then an HP screen, and then I got this:

STOP:c0000218 {Registry File Failure}

The registry cannot load the hive (file):

\SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE or its log or alternate.

It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.

Then the computer does absolutely nothing.  The only way I can get out of this screen is to manually turn the computer off.

If I turn on the computer and let it try to start up, I get NTLDR is missing......Press CTRL + ALT + DLT to restart.

If I don't restart, the computer does nothing. 

old_geekster - thanks for the links but at this point I think they left me even more confused.  Hoping to find info on my specific computer! 

Provost
old_geekster
Message 4 of 4 (4,511 Views)

Crowe, sorry my links didn't help.  If I were you, I would contact HP to see if they still have the "Recovery CD's" for your computer.  At this point, I believe that this is your only option.  Short that is, of buying a new computer or OS.

Good luck!

HP Split 13 x2
- 1.6 Ghz; 4 GB memory; SSD 128 GB; Win 8.0

HP Phoenix ENVY 810-135qe
- i7-4770K (liquid cooled); 8 GB memory; GT 640 (4 GB), SSD (Samsung EVO 840-500 GB); 600W PSU; Win 7 Ultimate

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say 'Thanks'**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!