HP Pavilion s5120f Shuts Down Unexpectedly from Sleep Mode (878 Views)
Tutor
babs1940
Message 1 of 4 (878 Views)

HP Pavilion s5120f Shuts Down Unexpectedly from Sleep Mode

We bought a new HP Pavilion s5120f computer about a month ago. Numerous times, the computer just totally shuts down, always when we are not using the computer (when it's in sleep mode). HP technicians ran all diagostics on it (twice today). Everything passed, but when the first technician told us to run the stress test (which takes two hours), we left the computer during the test. When we came back, it showed that part of the way through, the test was "cancelled," but we did not cancel it. We told this to the second technician, but he only ran the system test (again), not the stress test.

We have spent many hours today online with HP technicians, but there has been no problem found. I do not have the time right now to back up everything, do a system restore, and reinstall all my programs. I've seen this problem with other HP computers, but no solutions. Can someone please help?

Thanks!

Provost
old_geekster
Message 2 of 4 (868 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion s5120f Shuts Down Unexpectedly from Sleep Mode

Babs, here is a link to the "Product Specifications" pages for your computer:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documentSubCategory?tmp_rule=16113&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3970030&lang=en

Have you checked the "Power Options" in the Control Panel?  I can't give you specifics because I am not using Vista.  In XP, however, there is a setting that asks what to do when the "Sleep button is pushed" and one of the answers is "Shut down".  I know this doesn't seem to be your problem, since it happens randomly, but it is good to check every possibility.  The one thing that I have learned to expect, in my 25 years or computing, is the unexpected.

HP Split 13 x2
- 1.6 Ghz; 4 GB memory; SSD 128 GB; Win 8.0

HP Phoenix ENVY 810-135qe
- i7-4770K (liquid cooled); 8 GB memory; GT 640 (4 GB), SSD (Samsung EVO 840-500 GB); 600W PSU; Win 7 Ultimate

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say 'Thanks'**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Message 3 of 4 (846 Views)

Thanks! I did check the power options, but I did not see anything that should be changed. An HP supervisor is supposed to call us tomorrow to try to solve the problem. We'll see what happens.
Provost
old_geekster
Message 4 of 4 (844 Views)

Babs, good luck!

HP Split 13 x2
- 1.6 Ghz; 4 GB memory; SSD 128 GB; Win 8.0

HP Phoenix ENVY 810-135qe
- i7-4770K (liquid cooled); 8 GB memory; GT 640 (4 GB), SSD (Samsung EVO 840-500 GB); 600W PSU; Win 7 Ultimate

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say 'Thanks'**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!