HP Personal Media Drive 1TB (1622 Views)
Top Student
charm426
Message 1 of 14 (1,622 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP Personal Media Drive 1TB

Since 2009 I used the HP Personal Media drive on my  HP Pavilion a6152n Desktop PC without any problems. I was using Vista without any problems.  My computer has 6 usb ports and they all worked like a charm.  I used  the media drive for all my backups, both smartphone and computer.  A few  days ago, I upgraded to windows 7 and have been unable to use my media drive since.  My computer will recognize the usb ports when forced to but lists the media drive as unknown device when it recognizes it at all.  I have tried to update the driver to no avail.  I have uninstalled the device, disabled the device, tried to assign a letter to the drive all to no avail. I am finally at the point that when I plug the drive into the computer,  the computer tells me that I must format the disk to use it.  The drive was originally formatted under Vista.  I am afraid that if I format it now, I will lose all my files.  Please help.  I should note that I took the drive to work and that computer using XP recognized the media drive and actually allowed me to open files.  The computer at work is about 10  years old and very basic, no dvd drive, etc..  I also get code 43 when trying to update the drivers.   Thanks.

make the day count !
Master's Graduate
KiranTalluri
Message 2 of 14 (1,614 Views)

Re: HP Personal Media Drive 1TB

Hi,

Did you try connecting the Drive to External USB Port instead of inserting it into PMD Drive Bay.

You need to connect Power adapter to PMD when connected to External USB Port.

If you can remember the name appeared in Vista for the PMD Drive in Device Manager under Disk Drives. You can install the Driver for it in Windows 7 in following procedure. 

Open Device Manager  - Right click on unknown Device, then choose "Update Driver Software" - On the new window click on "Browse My computer for driver software", then choose "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer", then choose Storage Controllers->HP->choose HP PMD Driver or so.
If it does not work, please click Start->All Programs->Windows update, Install all Optional updates.
For more info:
Thank You, 
Kiran Talluri

Thank You.
Kiran Talluri

Say thanks by clicking the "Kudos! Star" which is on the left.
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue
Top Student
charm426
Message 3 of 14 (1,608 Views)

Thanks, but it did not work.  There were no updates and when I tried the first answer, i received  a code 10. What should I do now?

make the day count !
Master's Graduate
KiranTalluri
Message 4 of 14 (1,604 Views)

Hi. 

I hope you checked if it works fine when all other Devices disconnected from the PC except Keyboard, Mouse, and Monitor. 

If it does not work, you need to reinstall Chipset Drivers for the PC, let me know the Model Number of the PC to find Chipset Drivers. 

Thank you. 

Kiran.

Thank You.
Kiran Talluri

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue
Top Student
charm426
Message 5 of 14 (1,601 Views)

Hi,

I left the modem connected but diconnected the printer.  The model is a615n HP pavilion.  thanks

make the day count !
Master's Graduate
KiranTalluri
Message 6 of 14 (1,580 Views)

Hi,

Sorry, You did provide it in first post, here is the Chipset Driver:

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/19596/a08/infinst_autol.exe

If it does not work, you may have to check the PMD on other Windows 7 PC to conclude whether the issue is with the PC OS or PMD Drive.

Thank You.
Kiran Talluri

Top Student
charm426
Message 7 of 14 (1,571 Views)

Hi,

Thank you so much!  My computer now recognizes the PMD.  I was able to open up some files and they appear to be OK.  Again thanks.

make the day count !
Master's Graduate
KiranTalluri
Message 8 of 14 (1,563 Views)

I am glad it worked, thank you for your patience. 

Thank You.
Kiran Talluri

Top Student
charm426
Message 9 of 14 (1,554 Views)

USB drives linked

Now that my computer recognizes my personal media drive, I have another USB problem.  My two USB ports in the front seem to be linked together and  is preventing proper usage.  Anyway to correct this problem?  Thanks

make the day count !
Student
ivan_09
Message 10 of 14 (1,280 Views)

hi i have read your discussion and i have the same problem with my external hard drive...could you please tell me which chipset i have to download.. i have a hp pavilion dv6000

thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation