Question

Student
FlashBoredom
Message 1 of 12 (29,652 Views)

HP SimpleSave 1TB extl hd md 1000h - Can it be used as more than backup drive?

I bought 2 HP SimpleSave 1TB external hard drives (hp md 1000h), admittedly not paying attention to the fact that they are "Backup Drives."  My intentions were/are to have one be an actual backup drive, and for the other to be a rarely-disconnected primary media storage drive.  My iTunes library is growing, and I have been making some nature videos as well, and I would like all of that to be on my 1 TB drive, so my internal is less cluttered.

I know I can pull up the external drive through My Computer and I can directly add a folder, etc., but I wondered if doing so will somehow screw up the Simple Save or if Simple Save will mess up files I manually direct to the hard drive?

Provost
old_geekster
Message 2 of 12 (29,653 Views)

Re: HP SimpleSave 1TB extl hd md 1000h - Can it be used as more than backup drive?

FB, it is basically a compact external hard drive.  There should be no problem using it the way that you outlined.  I would use one of them at first to test the waters.  However, I don't believe that it should interfere with the backup software if you copy data manual to it.

Let us know how it works. 

HP Phoenix ENVY 810-135qe
- i7-4770K (liquid cooled); 8 GB memory; GT 640 (4 GB), SSD (Samsung EVO 840-500 GB); 600W PSU; Win 7 Ultimate

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say 'Thanks'**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Message 3 of 12 (28,622 Views)

Re: HP SimpleSave 1TB extl hd md 1000h - Can it be used as more than backup drive?

Hey OG, 

I browsed but could not find a manual for the same md 1000h drive and hope you can 1, tell me where I can download one, and 2, tell me how to use the drive as a backup/shared multimedia/storage drive for all of my home network with 7 PC's/laptops.

Thanks for any help you can provide :smileyembarrassed:)

Have a Merry Christmas and a wonderful New Year!

Bill

Honor Student
youngr69
Message 4 of 12 (28,114 Views)

You asked where to get a user manual.  Look up the product on www.hp.com and they have a downloadable user manual.  Just go to www.hp.com, it will ask you where you are, tell it United States, and in the search box that will appear in the upper right, enter "simplesave md 1000h" with no quotes.  You should be presented with links that you can navigate to get your user manuals.  (I just bought one myself).

Does anyone know if this product has any kind of reporting ability? (i.e you can explore to visually see what's on the drive, however I can find no way to get a hard copy of what's on the drive).  Further, I can not find anything anywhere that will tell me the sizes of the backups. 

The interesting thing is that the product is new enough (?) that it's not supported in the HP support system (i.e.. you can't start a live chat, because the product can not be found in the live chat area of the support part of www.hp.com )

Good luck, the product is great if you want a hands off backup.  If you want info on what it did, I'm still looking.

Student
Darkside
Message 5 of 12 (27,909 Views)

I just did the same thing (bought it and realized it was Auto-backup) and wondered how/if it works on multiple computers. Box says Multiple computer backup, but does it create a different internal profile for each computer or can you still use it to transfer data from oe computer to another...

Student
Shaddow
Message 6 of 12 (27,108 Views)

I just have one of these drives and it backs everything up automatically, but I use Windows Explorer to move files like music, photos, etc., to the HP SimpleSave and just direct the appropriate program to access the files from that location.

Student
bgepp
Message 7 of 12 (25,592 Views)

I use it in the same way but for some reason it will prevent me from connecting to the internet.  I am not sure why, any ideas anybody?

Student
Steve83
Message 8 of 12 (20,642 Views)

I've had this thing for several months now, and it has never worked the way I wanted.  I formatted it & removed as much of the hp crap as I could, but I can't get rid of their hidden partition, which wastes my space & consumes a drive letter.  I even called hp CS and they couldn't tell me how to do it, either.  So I got fed up & disconnected it for a few months, but some of my other drives are getting old now, and I'm trying to move their data onto the hp.  But now, the system won't recognize it like it did after I formatted it.  It won't assign a drive letter, or let me name the volume(s).  I can format & partition it, but it says I have to restart the system to enable/activate the disk.  Restarting doesn't help.

Is it a paperweight now?

Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Message 9 of 12 (20,637 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello Steve83, This thread is almost a year old, and I just now saw it, so I'm not exactly up to date on the issues everyone has been experiencing.

There is a solution to formatting your HP hard drive, even with hidden partitions, that would make it just as any normal hard drive, that could be used for backing up data, or copying data to and from the drive as a normal hard drive.

The answer to this is DiskPart. This is a small disk partitioning application that Microsoft provides as a way to delete partitions, even hidden ones, and create partitions. It is a DOS based application and is run from the cmd syntax.

You just click on Start, and in the run box, type cmd and press enter, and a black screen will open with a blinking cursor, much like the old DOS days. You just type the path for where you have downloaded and saved DiskPart.exe, as an example C:\diskpart.exe and DiskPart will start.

When you first use it, DiskPart can be seem a little hard to use, especially if you are not familiar with DOS command syntax, but just follow the instructions, and you will very quickly have the hard drive partitions deleted and new one(s) created that will be able to store and retrieve normal files from.

Here  is the link to Microsoft for the download of DiskPart.exe. Just save it to a location where you will be able to locate when you are in the DOS black screen.

Here  is a link to Microsoft where you can read about the DiskPart commands before you use the application.

This will remove all the data from the hard drive, so if you have any on it now that you need to keep, copy it to another location before using DiskPart.

Hope this helps.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

Honor Student
elfauno21
Message 10 of 12 (12,862 Views)

Re: HP Simple Save 1TB extl hd md 1000h - Can it be used as more than backup drive?

Hi I'm from Argentine sorry for my poor english. I’ve Just bought a HP md 1000h external hard disk device.  I wasn’t able to recovery any kind of files , recently I ‘d have been saved all my files.  But then appear this message “Cyclic Redundancy Error. It Means that I Should be format it, but I can’t assimilate lost a lot of information.

I have knowledge that there are tools to recover for example Hiren Boot CD. I wish I had other opportunity to change an other hard disk unity. I need some advice because the support assistant can’t solve my serious problem.Thank you

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation