HP Simplesave 500gb USB 2.0 (44126 Views)
Top Student
khorlick
Message 1 of 46 (44,126 Views)

HP Simplesave 500gb USB 2.0

I just purchased one of these drives and found out that the software that is pre-loaded on the drive cannot be completely removed. I want to use it as a regular external hard drive and do not need the software on it. Is there a way to completely remove or disable the HP software and the HP launcher?

I look forward to some replies.

Thanks,

Keith

Dean
old_geekster
Message 2 of 46 (44,116 Views)

Re: HP Simplesave 500gb USB 2.0

KH, did you try to format the drive?  I don't know if that would do it, but it is a starting point.  You know, the main selling point for this drive is the included software.

HP Split 13 x2
- 1.6 Ghz; 4 GB memory; SSD 128 GB; Win 8.0

HP Phoenix ENVY 810-135qe
- i7-4770K (liquid cooled); 8 GB memory; GT 640 (4 GB), SSD (Samsung EVO 840-500 GB); 600W PSU; Win 7

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say 'Thanks'**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Message 3 of 46 (44,109 Views)

I actually havent got the drive in my hands yet. It was an online purchase. I will definitely format the drive.

Thanks for the reply.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Honor Student
silverjerry
Message 4 of 46 (43,756 Views)

You won't be able to reformat.  You can't disable the backup software and you can't remove the partition on which it's stored, as it looks like a read-only CD to Windows, so reformatting is not an option for the entire drive.  You can configure the backup so it doesn't backup anything, although it forces you to select at least one location to backup, and you're still prompted by the software everytime you plug in the drive.  Because of the way it's set up, you also can't use the device on any non-Windows device - that's the showstopper for me.

I'm returning the drive.  I suppose it's a good design for someone that doesn't want to think about backups, but if you're looking for a more general purpose drive this is not a good choice.

Regards,

Jerry

Top Student
khorlick
Message 5 of 46 (43,714 Views)

I sold the drive on ebay and will nnever buy a HP product again. Im sick of them force feeding junk software down my throat. I dont know who is worst, Microsoft or HP.

HP YOU ARE PATHETIC!

PhD Student
PC_Tester
Message 6 of 46 (43,686 Views)

Read up on this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U3

I would guess, like the USB Thumb drives from SanDisk that behaves similarly, you should be able to format the drive from

Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools (Classic View/Large icons), Computer Management, Disk Management, select your 500 gb drive and delete the partitions on the drive and then delete them

Honor Student
silverjerry
Message 7 of 46 (43,672 Views)

I tried that approach but no luck - the drive just looks like a read-only CD to the Disk Management app.  I did a little research into the U3 utilities but what I found indicated that they wouldn't work with this drive either.

Another case of the training wheels being welded on.  I guess this is useful to some segment of the market, but anyone looking for more flexibility just finds it frustrating.

Honor Student
hp21fine
Message 8 of 46 (43,736 Views)

khorlick,

I have encounted this as well first with WD and now with HP.  Smartware (WD) and HP launcher render the drives unusable by our corporate computers.  Drives that I bought not too long ago did not have this problem - it is some new cost reduction / "welded training wheels" as another responder so aptly put it.  After thrashing around for a bit with it on the WD drives a more knowledgeable friend determined that the drive manufacturers have installed an additional chip that acts like a cd drive and you cannot disable it without the proper utility.  The WD drives come with Smart Drive.  When googling the problem I found similar levels of frustration.  However, I finally, on the WD site, found the proper keywords "disable smart drive" and the website directed me to the site from which to download a smart drive disabler which has worked just fine.

I just bought to HP drives figuring I would run into the same issue but being much smarter now I could figure it out more quickly this time if need be.  WRONG!.  I'm guessing that HP has a similar utility but, using similar search words, I am unable to locate it on the HP site and find no reference in the HP documentation or drive info on the website.  I have contacted HP support and got an e-mail back directing me to a different HP site (which I can't access due to our company's installation of WebNonSense).  I have e-mailed the HP responder requesting an e-mail address I can communicate with on this. 

I am hoping that HP will supply the utility so that I can have my choice of vendors - I don't want to be stuck with just one.  Even with the utility it is a pain in the posterior as I have to run it with each drive I get.

I hope this helps.

Cheers.

Sean

12/6/09

Top Student
khorlick
Message 9 of 46 (43,987 Views)

[ Edited ]

hp21fine,

I am very glad to have read your post. Since i sold my HP drive out of frustration i have purchased a WD drive with the Smartware on it figuring that WD wouldnt force you to use it. Thank you for pointing out how to disable Smartware!

EDIT: I think hp21fine meant to search for "disable smartware"

Thanks!!!

Keith

Top Student
Lesha
Message 10 of 46 (43,845 Views)

Hi, yesterday I bought 2TB drive and found the same stupid thing. and yes, I want to use it as a regular external hdd without this pre-installed software. I don't want to return this hdd because of a really good sale. so you can do this:

1. remove all hp software or format drive (sure, you did this already)

2. go to Start - Settings - Control Panel - Administrative Tool - Device Manager - DVD-ROM/CD-ROM drives. find HP VIRTUAL CD ... , right click on this and choose 'Disable'.

Now I don't see this virtual cd on my XP machine, only one normal drive. I didn't find the way to remove this cd physicaly, but hope this helps.

Regards,

Alexei

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation