HP a867c tower won't turn on (2661 Views)
Student
SMshuen
Message 1 of 3 (2,661 Views)

HP a867c tower won't turn on

[ Edited ]

I had a power outtage in my place the other day and wasn't home to unplug my appliances.  I came back and tried to turn on my computer and it wouldn't start.  I noticed the green light in the back blinking and I could hear it ticking as well.  I unplugged the tower and let it sit for 30 minutes or so.  Still not working.  I opened the side panel and unplugged the ATX cable from the motherboard and waited for 3 minutes.  I plugged the power cord back in without reattaching the ATX cord.  The green light in the back stopped blinking and stayed solid.  None of the fans turned on, but I plugged the ATX cord back into the motherboard only to find that the solid green light was blinking and ticking once more.  I unplugged the ATX cord again and the light turned solid.  The tower still wouldn't turn on and none of the fans turned on.  I took a closer look at the components and found that I have two capacitors that are bulging slightly.  I am at a loss of what to do.  How will i know if there is something wrong with the motherboard or the power supply?  Will two bad capacitors effect the entire system like that?  I have important files on the tower and haven't gotten the chance to buy an external back up system and am currently low on funds.  Anyone know what I can do?

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 2 of 3 (2,645 Views)

Re: HP a867c tower won't turn on

What model PC are you using?  Bulging capacitors are a bad sign. You probably will need a montherboard replacement. However, read over this article. Trouble Shooting Power Supply Issues. Your PC is probably over 5 years old si it might not make sense to have the PC repaired but your local PC repair shop can give you a quote.

You might want to contact HP support. HP's support number is 800-474-6836 or 800-HPINVENT

Your files can always be extracted from the hard drive if the hard drive is not defective.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-3770k, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Teacher
DoinTFN
Message 3 of 3 (2,608 Views)

Re: HP a867c tower won't turn on

the blinking green LED on the power supply can sometimes indicate  that the power supply and the motherboard have both failed.  For what it would cost to replace both of those components you could almost purchase a new system.

I am an employee of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation