Question

Honor Student
Daisybee1
Message 1 of 6 (1,188 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP pavilion 512n desktop

My 512n desktop will not turn on.  There is no green light on the back, but when I pull the power plug from the back of the computer, a green light comes on for a second, and then goes out. 

I have a new computer, but if it doesn't cost much I would like to get this working, so I can at least get some of my files off it and onto my new one.

Can anyone help or give me advice.

Thanks

Provost
old_geekster
Message 2 of 6 (1,188 Views)

Re: HP pavilion 512n desktop

Daisy, it sounds to me like you have a failed power supply unit (PSU).  This component supplies power to the entire computer.  It is fairly inexpensive and easy to replace.  First, however, lets try this procedure: Unplug the cord from the PSU at the back of the computer.  Push the power button for 5 to 10 seconds.  Open the case and remove the battery for 15 to 20 seconds and replace it.  Once this is complete, put everything back in place.

Leave the side panel off of the case.  Press the power button.  Watch the fan on the CPU/Processor to see what it does.  Also, note what the fan does on the PSU.  It is at the top of the computer in back.  Let us know what happens.

HP Split 13 x2
- 1.6 Ghz; 4 GB memory; SSD 128 GB; Win 8.0

HP Phoenix ENVY 810-135qe
- i7-4770K (liquid cooled); 8 GB memory; GT 640 (4 GB), SSD (Samsung EVO 840-500 GB); 600W PSU; Win 7 Ultimate

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say 'Thanks'**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Message 3 of 6 (1,174 Views)

Hello Old Geester:  Thank you for the information, I have the side off the case, but could you please tell me where the battery is, so that I can remove it?

Thanks for your help.

Daisy

Provost
old_geekster
Message 4 of 6 (1,178 Views)

Daisy, I would be glad to show you.  There are two different motherboards used in your model.  So, here is a link to each one:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph07027&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&...

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph07028&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&...

When you open the links, there are four links at the top of each page.  Open the link titled 'Layout and photographs'.  The battery is in a different location on the boards.  In the first link, it is located in the upper right hand corner of the motherboard.  It is labled CR 2032 3v and is round.  In the second link, it is located in the bottom right hand corner and is simply labled 'Battery'.  It is oblong.

If you require more assistance, let us know. 

HP Split 13 x2

- i7-4770K (liquid cooled); 8 GB memory; GT 640 (4 GB), SSD (Samsung EVO 840-500 GB); 600W PSU; Win 7 Ultimate

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++

Message 5 of 6 (1,149 Views)

Thank you Old Geekster for your assistance.  I did as you suggested, removed the battery for 15 to 20 seconds and replaced it.  I pressed the power button again and it was the same the computer wouldn't turn on.  The fan on the CPU/Processor did nothing, and the fan on the PSU did nothing. 

I would appreciate any other suggestions you might have.

Thank you

Provost
old_geekster
Message 6 of 6 (1,154 Views)

Daisy, if you followed all of my instructions, it sounds to me like you need a new PSU.  As I said, it provides power to the entire computer.  If none of the fans even twitches when the power button is pushed, they are not getting power. 

HP Split 13 x2

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++