Question

Top Student
rogeraf
Message 1 of 8 (150 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP s5503w, Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit. Wanting to plug a card reader into the motherboard.

New to the forums and have looked but can not find an answer to my question.

I have the HP s5503w SlimLine desk computer; what I need an answer to is where on the motherboard do I plug in the card reader that I have. Have searched both here and on the web with no luck. A friend gave me a card reader and thought it would be good to use it on the 5503. Any body have an answer? Thanks in advance for your help.

Roger

Provost
banhien
Message 2 of 8 (149 Views)

Re: HP s5503w, Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit. Wanting to plug a card reader into the motherboard.

Hi,

What is the cardreader ? Many of them use USB ports and you can plug to one of those ports on your machine.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Top Student
rogeraf
Message 3 of 8 (133 Views)

Re: HP s5503w, Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit. Wanting to plug a card reader into the motherboard.

The memory card reader, (media reader 6 in 1) came out of an eMachine 2600+.

The mother board gave up the ghost and the guy gave it to me for parts, whereas I salvaged the harddrive and media reader as well as some other companents.

I have several memory card adapters that plug in to the USB ports, but I’m always having to locate one of them to use it. My thoughts are that I can mount the 6 in 1 in my HP s5503w and not have to find the adapter anymore! Lol

So what I need to figure out, is where the 5 pin plug from the 6 in 1 connects on the mother board of the s5503w.

As stated in my first post, I’ve searched the web and HP forums for info and came up empty.

Thanks for your response sir, much appreciated.

Roger

Provost
lasvegaswireman
Message 4 of 8 (129 Views)

[ Edited ]

Here are the specs for your HP Pavilion Slimline s5503w Desktop Computer and its M2N68-LA (Narra5) motherboard. Based on the specs, the motherboard has four USB headers as shown below;

USB headers.png 

Provided the eMachines card reader is USB based and uses the same pin-outs as the HP motherboard, connecting the reader to either of the 5-pin headers should work. Make sure the four pins that have wires, go over the 4 pins on the motherboard... with the "empty" pin going to the empty space.

Also be advised that there is nowhere to mount this card reader in your computer.

Please click the white KUDOS star to show your appreciation

Frank
{------------ Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping.
Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my assistance has solved your issue. ------------V

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP.

HP 15t-j100 (on loan from HP)
HP 13 Split x2 (on loan from HP)
HP Slate8 Pro (on loan from HP)
HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
Top Student
rogeraf
Message 5 of 8 (121 Views)

Thanks Frank, I believe that's what I needed. When I get a chance this afternoon I'll see if that'll work. The s5503w was swapped out and put in a mini tower. The slim line was just too small and tight fitting to add things. Any way, thanks again sir, and I'll be back later in the day and post the results.

Roger

Top Student
rogeraf
Message 6 of 8 (112 Views)

Frank, that was the solution/fix that I needed. Now I don't have to go looking for my adapter to upload pictures to my computer. I appreciate your help sir and sincere thank you!

Roger

Top Student
rogeraf
Message 7 of 8 (111 Views)

As an after-post; I used the F USB3 jack, should anybody else need the info for the same situation.
Provost
lasvegaswireman
Message 8 of 8 (110 Views)

You are most welcome :-)

Please click the white KUDOS star to show your appreciation

Frank
{------------ Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping.
Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my assistance has solved your issue. ------------V

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP.

HP 15t-j100 (on loan from HP)
HP 13 Split x2 (on loan from HP)
HP Slate8 Pro (on loan from HP)
HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation