Question

Top Student
Krypt808
Message 1 of 26 (17,265 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP update problem!!

I recently ran a HP update...while it was installing evrything went blank...I rebooted and nothing happens....cannot get into BIOS f8 screen nothing...and get 2 beeps evry few seconds...HP online says that there file was corrupted and they will send a shipping box to reset BIOS free of charge..well they said 7 to 15 days, that is way too long!! Has anyone encountered this and how too fix faster,sooner than their time..please help and let me know who else has encountered this problem....I want to take to authorized service provider to reset BIOS but HP willnot cover costs? what to do?

Associate Professor
c0rnel
Message 2 of 26 (17,230 Views)

Re: HP update problem!!

I know this happens on a lot of the Pavillion m8000 series dekstops when you update the BIOS.

You should be able to reset the BIOS from F10 (if it's windows vista) or F11 or F1 (if it's windows xp).

Then again it could be some other hardware issues such as video card, ram etc.. depending on if it's a softwareor hardware issue.

If it's the BIOS that's corrupt, the try resetting it if not your motherboard will have to be replaced.

Can you reply with what pc model you have and what's the error message or when does the beep occur exactly?

Student
Aardvark
Message 3 of 26 (17,188 Views)

similar... I get a notice that there are software updates available, such as the SATA  hard drive utility  and the intel storage manager and the the program down loads them then when it trys to install them, they fail to install.  I click on more information and get that  failed to install and this:

RunShell("regsvr32.exe", '/s "C:\Users\Joseph's\AppData\Local\Temp\pftF886.tmp\cpc_DMIRD.dll"', "", @NORMAL, @WAIT)

when I click then for more info I get this

<error> 200 RunShell ("reg svr32.exe,.'/s....install.wbt)

I was told to have my entire system re loaded from the image .. and I really don't want to go through the hassle of having to send it in .  I can't update the bios or even install a new copy of the HP update.   this is the m920f  HP Pavillion.   other than that,  I can get the vista stuff from microsoft to update.  I am thinking there is an error in the software that allows updates to install... I have a box in the basement from HP to send it in for repair, but can't until summer when I am not using the machine for work.

Anyway,  this with  a new machine.. the problem was from the start.   any others with this problem and is there a work around?

Top Student
Krypt808
Message 4 of 26 (17,187 Views)

Thanks for reply, HP Pavilion a6600f PC, HP online chat said it was a corrupt file sent out by them and that if f8 could not get into BIOS that they would have to reset at service center free of charge, I tried both f8 and f10 but when start up there is nothing monitor stays sleeping and there is a beep when 1st turned on then about 5 seconds later 2 beeps then 5 more seconds 2 beeps!!  OK at start up it is beeeeeep beep beep then 5 seconds beep beep every  seconds!
Intern
Darkkender
Message 5 of 26 (17,151 Views)

Just to be certain do you get these beeps even with the basics plugged in Monitor, Mouse, Keyboard and power?  If so then trying a BIOS/CMOS reset by removing the battery from the board and leaving it off for 15min and re-installing it might work.  If this doesn't work then you are going to have to have the PC serviced.  Since online support confirms that it was a bad update then likely there will be no other options for you.

Contract HP Technician. Over 15 years PC experience in a professional & non-professional capacity.
Top Student
Krypt808
Message 6 of 26 (17,068 Views)

Hey Dark thanks, meaning the lil round 3v battery on board? And yes only monitor and mouse hooked up......also what about the CMOS jumper anything that should be tried to clear that? Or by taking battery out should suffice? Thanks again!
Honor Student
lodestar68
Message 7 of 26 (16,958 Views)

The HP Update version that came loaded on my computer was an older version that didn't work well with Vista and its User Account Control feature.

If you are stuck in a seemingly infinite loop of downloading updates and then they fail to install, try going to the support and drivers page for your computer and manually downloading and installing the latest version of hp update (4.0.12 as I write this).

Top Student
yunghahn
Message 8 of 26 (16,764 Views)

I too am having trouble downloading HP Update 4.0.12.  I keep getting error messages.  When you say "manually downloading and installing the latest version of hp update (4.0.12 as I write this)", where can I find the link so that I can manually download?
Intern
Tanton
Message 9 of 26 (16,602 Views)

Pls try this

1. Open Task Manager
2. Locate the process “HPADVISOR.exe”, highlight it and then click on End Process and close the task manager.
3. Click Start -> All Programs -> HP -> HP Update or HP Software Update
4. Click on Next to scan for updates.
5. You will find a window with list of updates, uncheck all the updates except “HP update 4.0.10.8/HP update 4.0.12” and click next.
6. The update will try to install and you might get a message
  “The following application should be closed before continuing the Installation”

The name of the application would be COM Surrogate (Process ID: XXXX) where XXXX is the event ID.
7. This window will have 3 options, Cancel, Retry & Ignore. Click on IGNORE
8. The installation process will continue and the HP Update 4.0.10.8 will be successfully installed.
9. Restart the PC and the Total Care Advisor will start working normally and the rest of the HP updates can be performed without any issues.
Top Student
yunghahn
Message 10 of 26 (16,527 Views)

I ran Task Manager and looked for "HPADVISOR.EXE."  I couldn't find it.  When I run HP Update, I continue to get "download failed."  It does not appear to want to update to version 4.0.12.  Help please!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation