Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I did, I tried, it failed. Twice.

I uninstalled it twice using "Fixit" recommended link, installed the Assistant, it worked well initially, updated couple of "recommended" items, but it refused to update the BIOS. When I clicked to uncheck the BIOS update task, the message "HPSF has stopped working" was back. EliteBook 8740w. Thanks in advance for an advice or a novel solution.

HP Recommended

Well I had goneahead anyway and it has worked fine. :generic: I have been able to use some of the tools and it appears to be working just fine... I'll be back if it crashes!!

HP Recommended

Dear DP-K - just to say I eventually got more info about uninstalling and reinstalling using my 'HP help and support' and it all worked fine. I think I used HP link as well to get the download - it seemed to say OK for both windows 7 and 8 so I thought I'd try it and - as I've already posted - it seems to be fine.

Anyway, glad there are folk around like you who help learners like me!

HP Recommended

Thanks for helping stop a most annoying issue.  Best part was that is was an easy fix.

HP Recommended
Sadly, I've now successfully uninstalled and reinstalled current versions of this program twice, once in late 2011 and once about a year later. The same problem is now back. I don't even need to explicitly invoke the Support Assistant. It starts in background at boot time and then I get the "stopped working..." message after some hours or days of the computer being up (computer is a desktop, Elite 8200, with Win 7). I can uninstall and reinstall it again, but am wondering whether it is worth the trouble. So, two questions: (1) Is there an easy way to configure this program to start only when I want it (or to run once at boot and then stop and take itself out of memory and the process list), rather than starting automagically at boot time and then dying either after some time has passed or something actually tries to open and use it? (2) Given these recurring problems, is the program itself just not well enough written to do the job and unlikely to get fixed adequately (at least on Windows 7-64)? If so, the right answer may be to uninstall it and leave well enough alone. thanks for any suggestions or information.
HP Recommended

Hello jk03264.  I understand you'd like to stop HP Support Assistant from running in the background.

You can stop HPSA from loading on startup by trying the following. 

1. Click Start, type "msconfig," and press Enter.
  2. Navigate to the "Services" tab.
  3. Locate "HP Support Assistant Service" and uncheck it.
  4. Apply these changes.
  5. Navigate to the "Startup" tab.
  6. Locate any startup items named HP Support Assistant and uncheck them as well.
  7. Apply the changes and reboot your computer.

I hope this helps.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

HP Recommended

I want this install again

HP Recommended

Hello jandokan1949,

Are you wanting to install the support assistant on your computer? I would like to help with this issue but I need some information.

Can you provide the model and product number of the computer? Here is a link that shows how to find that information.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓

HP Recommended

Re: HPSF.exe has stopped working

HP Recommended

will this affect the recovery set of my laptop

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.