Question

HP Support Agent
SuperMario1
Message 11 of 13 (89 Views)

Re: Hard drive performance, runs at 30% all of the time; slow response

Hello mechanic673. I have read this entire post and read the document in question. I'm not quite certain what your concerns are. If this is still a concern for you, please respond with your concerns, and I will do my best to give you a correct and intelligent response. I'm only here to help!

Mario

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" next to it to say “Thanks” for helping!

Super Mario 1
I work on behalf of HP
Tutor
mechanic673
Message 12 of 13 (84 Views)

In continuing to work on the issue originally posted, I am beginning to believe the only issue left is with the speed. In this case, being download speed from the Internet Service Provider (ISP).  The constant buffering and waiting for links to open, and other issues are directly related to what I have for speed from the terms of the contract. The only fix for that is to contact the ISP and advise them, then discuss options for improving capabilities.  This morning when I logged on, I was watching and looking back over notes and dates with all of the effort placed into this issue, and deciding that just maybe, all that can be accomplished has been done? Maybe there is nothing else for this particular issue to be analyzed?

Referring to the document Red Rose linked in her last post, i am finding, nothing left except the download speed, is the only item left. I understand there are times when performance is going to increase when multiples are competing for priority in functions. Say Hewlitt Packard, Microsoft, and Google Chrome are all competing to download updates to there programs all at the same time. That in and of itself will create issues, however, only temporary, but not long term as I was experiencing in the beginning.  

Since my last post I have cleaned up what I believe to be the last of the remaining issues to affect performance, and would think this condition is resolved, as far as my part is concerned. And depending on any last thoughts you might contribute?

I am monitoring the condition of the hard drive, to be certain it is going to for the near future; keep working and not completely fail to the point of replacing it with a new system entirely. It was officially 5 years old on Saturday, which has lasted 3  years longer than the last system we owned.

HP Support Agent
SuperMario1
Message 13 of 13 (77 Views)

Thank you for the thorough response. If speed is the main issue now, theoretically, upgrading the hard drive would be able to increase speed to a certain extent. Of course, this would effect speed of normal programs, web-based programs, etc. I also thoroughly read the document Red Rose provided, and while it is informative, I'm sure mostly everything in that document has been attempted.

Regarding to the age of the laptop, age will obviously decrease the computer's entire performance, and you only have limited control over that, unless you buy another computer.

I have an idea of how much research and troubleshooting you have performed, but it's only an idea. I'm going to link a couple documents with information that you may or may not find useful:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows-8/improve-performance-optimizing-hard-drive

http://itzkumar.wordpress.com/2010/07/03/10-ways-to-increase-hard-disk-life-and-performance/

Let me know if you have any other questions, and I will do my best to assist you.

Mario

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" next to it to say “Thanks” for helping!

Super Mario 1
I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation