Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I own a HP keyboard and some of the keys show BLUE characters, symbols and numbers....When I attempt to type in a website address using the backslash I always get the alternate BLUE character instead of the backslash....How do I make the keyboard only use the normal characters.

45 REPLIES 45
HP Recommended

Hi,

I found this forum talking about a possible solution. You can try it

http://www.fixya.com/support/t658306-alternate_keys_hp_keyboard

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
(Although I am employed by HP, I am speaking for myself and not for HP)
HP Recommended

Please ensure you have the right keyboard layout selected. Refer the following weblink for procedure:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/258824

I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Vidya

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the bottom right side of my post to say thanks!***
HP Recommended

Permanent and Temporary Solutions here!!! Click Kudos if you like these

Solution 1 - Permanent OFF (windows 7)

1. Go to Start menu > Devices and Printers
  2. Right click on HP Wireless Keyboard and Mouse Kit (yours may have slightly different name)
  3. Left click on Region and Language
  4. Left click on Change Keyboards button
  5. Under General tab go to > Default Input Language section > select English (Canada)-US
  6. Under General tab, now go to > Installed Services section > Keyboard heading > click on item for Canadian French then click the Remove button on the right,
  7. Repeat step 6 to remove line item Canadian Multilingual Standard
  8. Click Apply button at the bottom of window, then click OK button to get out of the window, click OK to get out of final window
  9. Close your Devices and Printers window and you are done FOREVER with the unwanted characters! 🙂

Solution 2 - Temporary toggle between special/normal characters 

If it's like mine, the default keyboard setting requires you to do the following:

press hold left ctrl+shift, then tap right shift key, this should toggle between the special characters and back to the normal characters when steps are repeated.

This is probably done accidentally by people and that's why it's driving everyone crazy 🙂
Note: sometimes I find it doesn't work on first try and have to try a couple of times, sometimes have to press the right shift key twice!! weird but works

Click Kudos if you like these solutions! Thanks

HP Recommended

Thanks so much! I've been having this problem and changing my keyboard never worked.

Finally can write with considerably less frustration.

HP Recommended

when I try to type a backslash I get a different symbol.

HP Recommended

See my temporary and permanent solutions:

Go to 4th post on page 1

HP Recommended

See my temporary and permanent solutions:

Go to 4th post on page 1

HP Recommended

how do I turn off the alternate blue keys on my keyboard so that I can use the white keys only

HP Recommended

See my temporary and permanent solutions.

Go to the 4th post on page 1

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.