Question

Student
cjwhitted
Message 1 of 3 (1,604 Views)

I did a system restore and my favorites, pictures and documents are gone, how do i access these now?

I did a system restore on my computer and now I cannot see my favorites, pictures or documents.  How do I access these in order to restore them?

Grad Student
Cooper56
Message 2 of 3 (1,595 Views)

Re: I did a system restore and my favorites, pictures and documents are gone, how do i access these

cjwhitted

It really depends upon the type of restoration you've done.  If you did an operation system restore, you should be able to find your files in their default locations..i.e. Documents, Pictures, Music, Downloads.  An Alternative is to go into Explorer and do a search for the files you are looking for using an "*" and the extension like *.doc or *.jpg   If you can find them in another location, you can restore them by copying them back to the file locations mentioned above.  If you cannot find any of these files by using the Explorer search feature you may have wiped your hard drive clean as part of the restoration process. If his is the case there is still the possibility that a Data Recovery Company can scan the hard drive for your files and for a fee provide them back to you.  Lastly you can also restore your files via the backup copies (hopefully) you created before the need to restore your system occurred.  Best Regards..

I work for HP. When your problem has been solved, accept the solution by clicking the "Accept as Solution" button to help other members in the future!
Associate Dean
wb2001
Message 3 of 3 (1,591 Views)

Re: I did a system restore and my favorites, pictures and documents are gone, how do i access these

Sadly, it sounds like you did a full system restore.  Did it warn you to make a backup?

This thread can explain the differences.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-systems-and/Partitions-lost-after-system-restore/m-p/...

To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved.
You can render both Solution and KUDO

The Law of Effect states that positive reinforcement increases the probability of a behavior being repeated. (B.F.Skinner). You toss me points, and I perform better.

(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
HP m9200t CTO,Win7 Pro 32 bit. 4GB RAM, ASUS 550Ti 2GB, Rosewill 630W. 1T HD SATA 3Gb/s
Custom Asus P8P67, I7-2600k, 16GB RAM, WIN7 Pro 64bit, EVGA GTX660 2GB, 750W Corsair, 1T HD SATA 6Gb/s
Custom Asus P8Z77, I7-3770k, 16GB RAM, WIN7 Pro 64bit, EVGA GTX670 2GB, 750W Corsair, 1T HD SATA 6Gb/s
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 Plus
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation