I have a Pavilion Elite M9150F and it seems the power on button isn't working. The power light is on (366 Views)
Tutor
cello6996
Message 1 of 9 (366 Views)
Accepted Solution

I have a Pavilion Elite M9150F and it seems the power on button isn't working. The power light is on

My Pavilion Elite M9150F  P/N KC880AA-ABA running Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit. The unit will not turn on from power switch or remote control. The power lite is on and power is running through unit up to button ( checked via AC Voltage Detector) Are there any known problems with these? Are there any replacement parts? It did seem to hang or shift  the  last time it was turned on. What are my options? Thank you for any help.

Regents Professor
Travis_C
Message 2 of 9 (353 Views)

I have a Pavilion Elite M9150F and it seems the power on button isn't working. The power light is on

Hello cello6996

Does your computer make any beeps or do you hear the Windows startup chime? If the sound is on and you hear the Windows chime the problem might be the video card. If you hear no beeps or many beeps during startup the problem could be a hardware component such as: motherboard/BIOS, processor, or power supply.

Also have you tried a different monitor and a different cable?
Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.
Tutor
cello6996
Message 3 of 9 (345 Views)

Re: I have a Pavilion Elite M9150F and it seems the power on button isn't working. The power light i

It doesn't make any sounds or beeps. It will not start the PC at all. I did replace the C: drive to a 2TB from the 360 GB after cloneing it did start but the power switch kind of moved some like never before. It did start up affter the change over. I am hoping it is the power switch as I said it seemed like the spring or something broke the last time it started and almost did not start. Is there a reliable service center near Taylor, Michigan?  I know before I did the HD change I did have trouble with the moniter goin black after a few seconds. I used a notice I seen on this site and unpluged the moniter to reset it and that fixed the problem. I really like my system with all the bells and wisles that it came with and hate to have to try a different tower. I am open to any other sugestions. I have come to rely on this site for any issues as this is my 3rd and have had great luck with it.

Regents Professor
Travis_C
Message 4 of 9 (328 Views)

Hello cello6996

If there is no sounds, the light(s) comes on, and you were having video loss, then the problem may be with some of the hardware such as: motherboard/BIOS, power supply, or processor. To have the product serviced, you will need to contact HP phone support at 1-800-474-6836.

I can help troubleshoot the problem if you want, however, since it is possible that the problem is hardware related, troubleshooting may require purchasing or using other hardware components to isolate the problem. For example the problem could be the power supply. You mention that you checked the Voltage, what about current? A power supply might not be work as well as it used to. Using another power supply would isolate the problem. If another power supply produces the same symptoms we can say that the problem is not with the power supply.
Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

Tutor
cello6996
Message 5 of 9 (324 Views)

Re: I have a Pavilion Elite M9150F and it seems the power on button isn't working. The power light i

Yes The power supply light on the power suppy unit is light. I can use a volt meter to check out put to the power switch or other componets wiith a little help. I have mostly suspected the power switch as it had a hard time clicking on and seemed to move as if the spring or something in it broke as I started it without the front panel. I did not see any reset button and have not pulled out the power supply unit. Is it possable to bypass the power switch to see if that is the problem?

Regents Professor
Travis_C
Message 6 of 9 (311 Views)

Hello cello6996

Are you in warranty? If so I would suggest contacting HP. If you are out of warranty follow the steps below.

Basically how a power button works is it shorts two particular pins. This short sparks a signal to power on the power supply and all components. A quick Google search reveals the most common method to do this is to unplug the power button wires from the pins on the motherboard and then touch a screw driver against just those two pins. Use insulated gloves as a safety precaution. or a screw driver with an insulated handle.
How to bypass power on button on pc
Is there a way to bypass the power switch?

If the computer powers on correctly something is wrong with the power button. If the problem persists it is more than likely a problem with one of the hardware components and the problem will need to be isolated further. Let me know what happens.

Tutor
cello6996
Message 7 of 9 (295 Views)

AH!  Thank you very much. It is the button. Great work around that I did not think of. That's one of the very reasons I use this site to help with Ideas not on the top of your own head and get very sound advice. Thank you again! Hope you have a very merry hoiday as well.

Regents Professor
Travis_C
Message 8 of 9 (265 Views)

You're welcome cello6996

Glad to hear that you were able to boot the computer and isolate the problem to the power button.

You may be able to find a replacement button or at least a switch you can install to replace the broken button (try searching with a search engine).

Else a new computer case would be needed (as they come with the buttons and cables). I am unsure if the HP components would fit properly in another case (wire length, form factor, etc.) so I suggest the first option of finding a way to get another start button.

Happy holidays to you as well.

Tutor
cello6996
Message 9 of 9 (261 Views)

That's what I love about this site and the people with it. GREAT IDEAS!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation