I lost my PC Help and Tools/HP Recovery Manager (5178 Views)
Honor Student
ColBuzby
Message 1 of 13 (5,178 Views)

I lost my PC Help and Tools/HP Recovery Manager

I just upgraded from Vista Basic to Premium,and in the process lost PC Help and Tools (PC Doctor) and HP Recovery Manager.I made a succesful backup before I upgraded....but without the HP Recovery Manager it is confusing and difficult to get these programs back.I installed the backup DVD I made and it shows the files in zip form...I even downloaded a unzipping program (Zip Reader)...but how do I actually get them back????

It just goes from one sub folder to the next....It won't give me an option to "send to desktop" or whatever it's supposed to do to install them.

This is frustrating because I ALWAYS make frequent backups.......and when the time comes around to actually use them it fails!!!

Please explain just how to get your files back from a backup DVD!! That's all!!! It shouln't be that difficult!!!

ColBuzby
Associate Professor
c0rnel
Message 2 of 13 (5,161 Views)

Re: I lost my PC Help and Tools/HP Recovery Manager

I believe you can't realy restore programs, only program files settings for that program since it's not installed in just one location alltogether.

Did you get a chance to create your Recovery discs?

I would 1st run a Recovery from the F11 menu at pc startup and start from scratch, then create your recovery discs using PC Help and Tools and then you can upgrade back to Home Premium and then install your programs and restore your documents.

Unless you don't want to go through all this work then leave it as is.

Student
roccocinese
Message 3 of 13 (2,369 Views)

I lost my PC Help and Tools/HP Recovery Manager

Student
horsley
Message 4 of 13 (2,298 Views)

Had to reload OS and now no hp tools - where do I go to reload it?

Student
sy0826
Message 5 of 13 (2,223 Views)

how do i recover PC Help and Tools/HP Recovery Manager

Top Student
CharlieManie
Message 6 of 13 (1,633 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

The Topic-Starter stated that he doesn't have these programs/software and he/she is looking for this, so that he can restore his PC to factory-settings.

I have the same problem.

I purchased a HP Pavillion A6210.nl and changed the motherboard ( all the components were the same, since the processor-socket was the same type as the original and I got it to boot and working and everything ), but after a while ( after Windows-update ) I got a problem that I had to activate my windows ( again ), so I used the key on the COA-sticker, but it wouldn't activate and I had to call support.

I decided to reset it to factory-settings and after a while I became tired of this problem ( asking me to activate it ), so just when I wanted to call support to report this problem, a friend of mine suggested I upgrade to Windows 7, since he had this OEM-disc and a licence-key.

I couldn't activate this Windows 7 also, as I got the same error as with the Vista OEM that came with the PC I have purchased.

Now, I wanted to restore the PC back to factory-settings ( when VISTA OEM was on it ) and call support about this problem, because I have paid for the licence and I only had to change the motherboard ( the problem was the PC shutting down and restarting every time I touched it, the slightest touch could make it shutdown and restart ), but since I did that all of the HP Recovery-programs and HP Support-programs were gone. ( I couldn't boot into Recovery-program/software using the F10-key, like I used to do)

The Factory_Image (D:smileyhappy: is present and when I open it with/in explorer I get this message/warning with the HP-logo not to remove/delete or change the files in the recovery-partition or it wouldn't restore the PC.

So how can I use the Factory_Image (D:smileyhappy: to restore the PC back to factory-setting, without the accessablity of HP Recovery Manager (I can't also seem to download the software from HP.com)?

Thank you in advance and if you can, it's better to e-mail me the answers or questions/information to [Personal Information Removed](without the spaces)

Greetz,

Charlie

Distinguished Professor
anthony82
Message 7 of 13 (1,546 Views)

HI sy0826,

If you’re having the same problem as the original post and you’re not able to access your recovery partition. You will not be able to reinstall the pc help and tools. That is a program that is preinstalled with your operating system.

If you made recovery media you can reinstall your operating system and the help and tools will be reloaded.

If not you can purchase the recovery media from hp.com.

You can also download HP support assistant and it has some of the same functions.

Here is a link to install support assistant

Let me know if this helps.

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Have a good day.
I work for HP.
Distinguished Professor
anthony82
Message 8 of 13 (1,546 Views)

CharlieManie,

If you have installed a new operating system from retail copy of Windows, the recovery partitions will no longer work.

You will have to purchase the recovery media from hp.com.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Have a good day.

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Have a good day.
I work for HP.
PhD Student
jaco1x4
Message 9 of 13 (1,544 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello,

Was the replacement MB supplied by HP? The HP original MB has a tatoo that is tied to the operating system installed by HP.

You cannot recover your original Vista intall from the Recovery Partition because the new MB substantially changes the system.and your computer is now considered to be a different system.

The fix is to see if you can get a replacement board with the correct tatoo from HP or you might also be able to have your existing replacement MB affixed with the correct tatoo but will have to pay HP to do this. ( Not sure if last option is possible)

With a correctly tatooed MB you will be able to perform a factory image restore.

Jaco

Top Student
CharlieManie
Message 10 of 13 (1,515 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi all,

Thank you for the replies, but I got it to work.

It is something HP and Microsoft developed to bring down piracy and make it hard for the pirates to steal the software without paying for it, but it doesn't work if it has to be in the computers of non-pirates too, like me.

I didn't pay for this when I bought my computer and if I did know this, then I wouldn't buy the computer or at least know what is happening, when it has happened.

That tattoo-thing on motherboards is just a criminal thing if you ask me.

Anyway, what I did is, run the MBRinst.exe-file or something and it will re-activate the F11 key to enter the menu, where you can press F8 for advanced options.

In that menu, at the top, it should be possible to acces the recovery software.

Or when you get into a window with a prompt, you should press the ESC-button and it should bring you to the menu where you can press F8 for the advanced options, like recovering your computer to factory settings.

If this don't work, just check the internet / Google for a fix, but don't forget to back everything up. (TrueImage Acronis was a good program to back everything up)

Hope this helps and let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Charliemanie

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation