[KBD 5189URF] How to configure keyboard buttons ? (32053 Views)
Honor Student
AlexandreP
Message 1 of 5 (32,053 Views)

[KBD 5189URF] How to configure keyboard buttons ?

Hi,

I am not able to configure the actions to perform when pressing a media button on my keyboard. My keyboard's model number is 5189URF, and it came with an HP Pavilion m8100n. The PC is running Windows Vista 32bits.

First, I downloaded and installed my keyboard's drivers (SP37318.exe, from http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=2093&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us〈=en&product=3440614). I rebooted my computer so the changes can be applied to my keyboard's configuration, and the new drivers to be activated and used by the keyboard.

When going in Control Panel -> Keyboard, I now have a "Buttons" tab, where normally I would be able to configure the media buttons behaviors. But the panel is empty, there is no available button to be configured. Moreover, when clicking in the area where buttons options should appear, the keyboard properties window freezes, and I have to go through the Task manager to force it to terminate.
Here is a screenshot of my keyboard properties window's buttons tab : kbd properties

Uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers did not change anything, I still have the same problem.

Is there a way I can change the actions performed when pressing the media buttons (the Internet button, the email button, the search button, etc. on the left side of my keyboard) ?
Teacher
Bskull
Message 2 of 5 (32,050 Views)

Re: [KBD 5189URF] How to configure keyboard buttons ?

Have you tried clicking on the "restore defaults" button on the buttons tab?
worked with HP employee for 2 years. Freelance tech support for 11 years.
Honor Student
AlexandreP
Message 3 of 5 (32,049 Views)

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I tried restoring the default parameters. I also clicked "OK" button after I clicked the restore parameters button, just to be sure parameters have correcty been restored. I still have the same problem, my panel looks empty and is not editable.

Please note that my media buttons are working correctly : when I press the Internet button, my browser is launched, when pressing the email button my email clied is launched, etc. I'm only not able to edit the actions linked to these buttons.
Honor Student
Bone
Message 4 of 5 (31,929 Views)

Hello! I looked at your screen shot... Have you tried using the english version? It may work better.
Student
Milquilover
Message 5 of 5 (29,608 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I got the same problem. Updated my keyboard driver and got that same screen. When I tried to  update by Windows Vista, the Button tab has gone.

I wanted to get my multimedia buttons working, but now none of my shortcuts (apart from 'sleep' button) or multimedia buttons is working. Even the volume control isn't working. Neither appears the name of shortcut or the volume level (that one colored that is on the very top screen with a poor resolution font)

Ah, the driver is dated of 2006.

So, there's any solution to reinstall the kbd functions?

Message Edited by Milquilover on 04-28-2009 06:04 PM
Message Edited by Milquilover on 04-28-2009 06:05 PM
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation