Question

Honor Student
probert2011
Message 1 of 11 (5,619 Views)

Keyboard number keys don't work

The upper keyboard number keys do not work in IE browser. The side number keys do work. HP p6714 windows 7 64 bit ome edition. The upper number keys don't work in this in this site either. If I push a number key after a letter key it just continues the letter.

Teacher
Beeker318
Message 2 of 11 (5,602 Views)

Re: Keyboard number keys don't work

I think the first thing is to verify the language setting for the computer. You can do this by opening up the control panel (start menu, control panel link is on the right) and clicking on the Clock, Language and Region setting, keyboards and languages tab on window that opens and click on the change keyboards button.  The default language should say English - US.

If you have one, try connecting a different keyboard and see if the problem still occurs.

Thanks,

Scott
I am an HP employee
Top Student
woodrly
Message 3 of 11 (5,509 Views)

I have the same problem.  I have recently updated from Vista to Windows  and the number keys work fine in word or notepad but when entering in a web browser IE and Foxfire, they just keep duplicating the last letter you entered.  How the heck can we enter the "@" without using the on screen keyboard?  I have bought a new keyboard and the same thing happens.  HELP

Honor Student
FashionLady
Message 4 of 11 (5,462 Views)

I'm having the exact same problem... just upgraded from Vista to Win 7 and I can't get the upper numbers to work either. I'm copying and pasting "@" character from Word or Notepad...

Any solutions yet?  Already downloaded all the updated keyboard drivers I can find... none work.

Thanks

Honor Student
probert2011
Message 5 of 11 (5,453 Views)

Unfortunately the only way to solve the problem was to erase the hard drive and reload windows. I was with tech support for over an hour and a half. Good luck.

Top Student
woodrly
Message 6 of 11 (5,434 Views)

That is not a very satisfactory decision. Now all of the HP software will be gone, including HP Update, Lightscribe, and maybe the DVD software that came with the machine. Will everything work after that ? What happened to the days when they at least gave you access to the original program files for later reinstall? I can't find anything on hps website to download HP Update and HP Advisor. Common Microsoft/HP. Find a real answer and give us an update to fix the problem. I even tried to go back to the pre wiindows driver and the computer wouldn't let me do it
Top Student
woodrly
Message 7 of 11 (5,430 Views)

I found a good answer that fixed my problem.
i was able to solve the problem on my Microsoft Vista computer but uninstalling Constant Guard that I had downloaded and installed along with Comcast's free Norton. I got this tip on another thread and after followinging their advice I was free to use my number/symbol row of keys again!! I was able to close my email and character/symbol copy and past sheet in Word. Worked for me too!!
Honor Student
FashionLady
Message 8 of 11 (5,421 Views)

I think that may be the problem... I have that Constant Contact as well... I'm uninstalling it! Will update if it works... Thanks!
Honor Student
FashionLady
Message 9 of 11 (5,417 Views)

Removing Constant Guard worked!!! Thanks for the tip!

Student
nadidida
Message 10 of 11 (5,375 Views)

I just had the same problem. Computer crashed; re-installed Windows 7 and Comcasts Constant Guard -- then numeric keys didn't work. Removed Constant Guard (but left Norton installed); now numeric keys work fine.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation