Question

Zoe Honor Student
Honor Student
Zoe
Message 1 of 5 (16,216 Views)

Keyboard won't type letters

[ Edited ]

I use Windows Vista Office Home & Student 07 on a Desktop HP Computer (which is about 2 years old0.  Recently the letters/numbers pressed on the keyboard began to be really slow to appear on monitor or they don't appear at all.  This occurs no matter what I am typing, emails, documents, etc.  Even when I hit keyboard buttons really hard. 

When  the  letters do  appear  they are often jumbled  with no relevance to the buttons I have pushed/typed.  I haven't ever struck this before.  Any ideas on how to fix it please?

Message Edited by Zoe on 04-01-2009 08:12 PM
Professor
1badGuard
Message 2 of 5 (16,209 Views)

Re: Keyboard won't type letters

Did you try another keyboard?

If that does not work, enter Device Manager and remove the keyboard driver and reboot.

Distinguished Professor
RasterBlaster
Message 3 of 5 (16,189 Views)

We need to know if it is a wireless keyboard (with USB receiver or PS/2 Receiver) or if it is a wired keyboard (PS/2 or USB).

Essentially, if you press a key and nothing happens at all - ever, then the keyboard hardware is to blame... moisture or oxidation between the key contacts, a broken trace on the underlayment, or simply a stuck key. Replace the keyboard or take it apart and clean it.

If the you press a key and the character you typed pops in a second later - this is a lag or buffering problem in the communication/software - mainly for wireless. The wireless keyboard communication can become interrupted by other communications in the area. It may also be slow to respond if the computer is busy performing other low level tasks - such as scanning for viruses.

... an HP employee expressing his own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a Message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
Zoe Honor Student
Honor Student
Zoe
Message 4 of 5 (16,176 Views)

Thanks to those who replied to my problem. Much appreciated.  However, the problem was easily fixed, I realised that the batteries

in my cordless keyboard hadn't been replaced since installed when new.  New batteries have fixed the problem.  :smileyvery-happy:

Distinguished Professor
RasterBlaster
Message 5 of 5 (16,156 Views)

:smileyhappy: Yep - that would do it too.  Thanks for helping me out too. Too often I want to jump to the more technical solution.
... an HP employee expressing his own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a Message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation